£5,000 cash grant boost for Topsham swim pool
- Credit: Getty Images
Topsham Swimming Pool has received a £5,000 cash boost in its ongoing battle to stay open.
Devon county councillor Andrew Leadbetter has given the money out of his £10,000 grant from the Devon Investment Fund.
The Journal reported earlier this year how the pool was under threat of closure because of high running costs and a lack of volunteers.
But Cllr Leadbetter, who represents Topsham, is confident the pool has a bright future ahead of it.
He said: “I have donated £5,000 to Topsham Swimming Pool, which they were delighted to receive.
You may also want to watch:
“I think the pool is one of the many things going on that is at the heart of the community.
“The volunteers bring so much joy to both young and old.
- 1 Do you know who owns the Magnolia clock?
- 2 Introducing the Journal's newest columnst - Scott Gray
- 3 Changes made to Exmouth bus route following national lockdown
- 4 Headteacher ‘blown away’ by response to computer fundraising campaign
- 5 Transition Exmouth’s ‘library of things’ project get National Lottery funding boost
- 6 Open Door is here for the community during lockdown 3.0
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 Words of respect and dignity honoured Adrian
- 9 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 10 Town council’s slice of tax bill set to decrease
“If we lost a facility like this we would never get it back – but I will do everything in my power to stop that from happening.
“I was at the pool a couple of weeks ago and it was gorgeous.
“It’s amazing to think that chairman Colin Long was one of the original fundraisers fighting to get the pool open and he is still going.”
The pool, which has operated in the town since 1979, needs to raise a total of £100,000 to carry out improvements.
Andrea Veale, pool committee member, welcomed Cllr Leadbetter’s support.
She said: “We’re absolutely delighted that Cllr Leadbetter has decided to give £5,000 to the Topsham Swimming Pool renovation appeal.
“The money will go towards our immediate priorities, which are replacing leaky underground pool pipe work, repairing the roof and adding solar heating to supplement our gas boilers.
“Donations to our online fund and directly to our pool desk total close to £1,000 so far.
“We’re extremely grateful to the people who’ve donated, most of whom are Topsham families, and we urge the whole community to get behind the pool this summer, come and swim, and donate whatever they can afford to keep it in shape for the future.”
If you would like to donate, visit www.mydonate.bt.com and search TSPA or email email@example.com.