A young Exmouth couple who have lost all their possessions in a house fire have been overwhelmed by generous donations of cash to help them out.

Megan Russell, 20, and her 21-year-old partner Ciaran Clow are expecting a baby in six weeks and had been saving for months to prepare for the new arrival.

(Image: Louise Wedmore)

But on Sunday night, July 7, a fire broke out in the kitchen of their flat in Bicton Villas, while the couple were out. Fire crews attended quickly and rescued two dogs from the building; Megan and Ciaran’s pet Skyla and another dog belonging to a friend. The dogs were given oxygen therapy. Three fire appliances and the aerial ladder platform were involved in tackling the blaze.

(Image: Louise Wedmore)

The fire burned out the kitchen and left the whole flat uninhabitable because of the smoke damage. Megan and Ciaran are currently staying with Megan’s mother Louise Wedmore while awaiting emergency housing from East Devon District Council.

(Image: Louise Wedmore)

On Monday, July 8, Louise launched a GoFundMe appeal for donations to help Megan and Ciaran replace their lost possessions and furnish a new property.

By Tuesday afternoon £1,800 had already been donated.

Updating the fundraising page, Louise said: “The generosity of the local community is amazing, we have been out and got new clothes for both Megan and Ciaran.

“They cannot believe that so many people are reading their sad news and donating. Please keep sharing and helping this young soon-to-be family. They still can’t believe this could have been so different and there could have been a loss of life.”

The fundraiser for Megan and Ciaran can be found here.