Two dogs were rescued from a fire that broke out in a house in Exmouth on Sunday night (July 7).

Firefighters were called out to Bicton Villas at 9.24pm after a report of smoke coming from the windows and roof of one of the properties. Three appliances from Exmouth and Middlemoor fire stations attended, along with an aerial ladder platform from Danes Castle, Exeter.

The fire had started in the kitchen of a second-floor flat in a semi-detached brick-built house. It caused 20 per cent fire damage and 80 per cent smoke damage. Fire crews used six breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, one safety jet, two positive pressure fans and a thermal imaging camera.

Two dogs that were in the building were brought to safety and given oxygen therapy.