Firefighters from Exmouth joined crews from Sidmouth, Ottery St Mary and Torquay to tackle a fire at a commercial property in Sidmouth on Monday evening (January 1).

The fire had started in a tumble drier in the laundry room of the building.

Three fire appliances from Sidmouth and Ottery, along with the aerial ladder platform from Torquay, were called out at 6.20pm; the Incident Commander then asked for a fourth crew from Exmouth to be mobilised to support them.

Throughout the incident the firefighters used six breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, a thermal image camera, small tools, ladders and a gas monitor.

The building was left with 20 per cent smoke damage and 20 per cent fire damage. The fire is believed to have started accidentally and is not being treated as suspicious.