A jealous stalker has been jailed for breaking an order not to contact his ex within hours of being freed from prison.

Former soldier Luke Partridge accused his former girlfriend of having affairs with 75 different men during a 15-day campaign of harassment which only ended when he was locked up again.

Partridge had already been remanded in custody for two previous breaches of the order but was freed on a suspended sentence by Exeter Magistrates on June 1.

His ex-partner e-mailed him that day to say that she wanted no further contact but he responded with a barrage of calls, voicemails, messages and e-mails.

On one occasion he called her home in Honiton after drinking in Exmouth and shouted abuse at her and her 20-year-old daughter who went on the line to ask him to stop pestering her mother.

Delivery driver Partridge, aged 35, of Madeira Villas, Exmouth, admitted breaking a non-molestation order and a suspended sentence and was jailed for a year and two months by Judge Anna Richardson at Exeter Crown Court.

She told him: ”You contacted her repeatedly after having been drinking. You rang her numerous times; the word barrage would not be an understatement. You accused her of infidelity in voicemails and calls.

“There was an impact from your behaviour, which she described as unpredictable. She found it deeply stressful. There was emotional blackmail. To threaten suicide is a way to control somebody.

“She described your behaviour as soul destroying. I have no doubt you were struggling with the break-up of a relationship.

“The seriousness of this offence is aggravated by your previous convictions for harassment and the fact that it was committed shortly after your release.”

Mr Louis Aldous, prosecuting, said Partridge’s ex-partner obtained a non-molestation order after their 14-month long relationship broke up. He broke it twice, resulting in him being remanded in custody before being released on a suspended sentence on June 1.

The victim e-mailed him on the same day to say she wanted no further contact but this led to him responding later that day and again on June 3, when she received numerous unwanted calls from a withheld number.

Partridge resumed his campaign of harassment on June 12 by sending messages or calls in which he accused her of sleeping with 75 different men and shouted drunkenly at her daughter when she answered one call.

Mr Stephen Nunn, defending, said Partridge had not made the first contact and had reported her e-mail to him to the police, which led to no action being taken.

He said Partridge is a former serviceman who has a good work ethic and who is being supported by the SSAFA charity, which is going to help him to relocate away from East Devon.