Firefighters from Exmouth tackled a fire on Woodbury Common on Tuesday (June 13), which they believe was caused by a campfire or BBQ.

White Watch from Exmouth were sent to a fire in the open with crews from Middlemoor Fire Station Bovey Tracey Fire Station Torquay Fire Station and Clyst St George Fire Station also attended.

A 4x4 ranger and an ATV with their own water and firefighting lances were used to tackle spits if Fire in difficult to access areas.

The fire cause significant damage to approximately 80 square meters of land. The cause is currently unknow, but potentially caused by a campfire, BBQ or glass bottles.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service give this advice on BBQs: "We do not recommend using BBQs at the beach or in the countryside. There are some restrictions on where you can use BBQs, so please check local signage before using them.

"If you’re using a disposable BBQ away from your home, please be careful. They have been the cause of a large number of wildfires in recent years. In 2020, 171 of our firefighters spent 70 hours putting out a fire in Kingswear, Devon, caused by a disposable BBQ."