�100 challenge to John Kelly
YOUR correspondent John Kelly (Letters, February 4) takes issue with me for pointing out that UKIP is regarded as a single issue party when the chips are down in the run-up to general elections. He will know that Gerard Batten MEP recently wrote an articl
YOUR correspondent John Kelly (Letters, February 4) takes issue with me for pointing out that UKIP is regarded as a single issue party when the chips are down in the run-up to general elections.
He will know that Gerard Batten MEP recently wrote an article for publication in Eurofacts, the monthly journal that reports on the reality behind Europe. He stated that 'UKIP would make no deals with the Tories' and he predicted that 'UKIP will go forward and achieve its best general election in 2010 and grow ever stronger still'.
The sad fact remains that his party did not win one single seat at Westminster in 1997, 2001 and 2005 and, under the present voting system, it is unlikely to achieve a breakthrough in a few weeks' time.
Its former charismatic and highly articulate leader, Nigel Farage, has stated that he will contest Buckingham, the seat presently held by the Speaker of the House, The Rt Hon John Bercow MP. A daunting prospect for Mr Farage is the majority of 18,129 enjoyed by Mr Bercow.
You may also want to watch:
Noting that John Kelly has commented that I am no longer offering �100 if UKIP wins a single seat, I am happy to pass that sum to Mr Kelly who might like to donate a similar sum to LEPRA that I will pass on to that deserving charity.
- 1 Exmouth Town mourn former manager
- 2 Budleigh couple’s book detailing their South American adventures
- 3 New High Sheriff of Devon appointed
- 4 Mrs B marks 10 years with All Saints Pre-school
- 5 Exmouth’s Imperial Hotel set to reopen
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 Exmouth’s Deaf Academy recognised for ‘outstanding use’ of technology during lockdown
- 8 Recruitment evening for Exmouth’s Air Cadets squadron
- 9 Recommendation for consultation on extending public space order for Exmouth to its beach
- 10 New attractions and vendors as Queen’s Drive Space gets ready for summer
17 Blair Atholl,