Tribute to Reg Varney
20-11-2008: COMEDY actor and Budleigh Salterton resident Reg Varney has died aged 92 after a short illness. Tributes have begun pouring in for the popular 70s actor, best known for his role as Stan Butler in On the Buses.
20-11-2008: COMEDY actor and Budleigh Salterton resident Reg Varney has died aged 92 after a short illness.
Tributes have begun pouring in for the popular 70s actor, best known for his role as Stan Butler in On the Buses.
Mr Varney's daughter Jeanne Marley, 59, said her father died 'peacefully' on Sunday afternoon.
She said he died shortly at a nursing home in the town, where he had recently been admitted with a chest infection.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Varney, who lived at Dark Lane for 20 years, had lived alone since his wife Lillian died in 2002.
He is survived by his daughter, two grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
- 1 Work to begin on plan to protect ‘jewel in Exmouth’s crown’
- 2 Topsham events planned after latest stop on lockdown roadmap
- 3 Glowing tributes paid to Exmouth RNLI ‘legend’ Tim Mock
- 4 Next stop Queen’s Drive for Exmouth Miniature Railway!
- 5 Exmouth youngsters take part in beach clean
- 6 Volunteer appeal as charity shops prepares for incoming donations
- 7 Topsham is one of the best places to live - its official
- 8 Exmouth RNLI called to rescue Kayaker
- 9 Activities for all ages at Budleigh health and wellbeing hub
- 10 Work begins on former temporary car park on Exmouth seafront
Mr Varney's funeral is yet to be arranged.
On the Buses was one of the most popular British comedies on television in the 1970s.
The series ran for seven years from 1969 and followed two characters - happy-go-lucky Stan Butler, played by Varney, and conductor Jack Harper, played by co-star Bob Grant - who dodged work and tried their best to wind up inspector Cyril 'Blakey'.
Mrs Marley said of her father: "He's always been very young for his age. When he was in On the Buses he was playing a 35-year-old, but he was actually 50.
My name is tracey and i'm 33 years old and live in New Zealand and I am an "On the Buses" addict! I realise Mr Varney passed away over a year ago but would just like to say, what a wonderful comedian he was, in fact I watch "On the Buses" on a daily basis and it is timeless comedy! I would have loved to have been around in that era and to have met him and the cast, I bet they had a ball making the show!