Yacht stranded off Exmouth and other news
A yacht, which had run aground, was stranded off Exmouth for several hours. Read this and more.
BOAT HAZARD: A yacht, which had run aground, was stranded off Exmouth for several hours.
Exmouth’s volunteer coastwatchers spotted The Footloose, which had run aground in shallow water on July 6 at around 1.20pm.
The yacht, which had a crew of four, was spotted mid-channel and was reported to Brixham Coastguards as a ‘hazard’ to shipping.
A spokesman for the National Coastwatch Institution said: “The yacht was leaning heavily to starboard on a falling tide. Brixham asked Exmouth Coastwatch to keep a watching brief on the yacht. The four people stayed aboard until low tide (3.28pm) had passed and the yacht was finally refloated (at 4.40pm) successfully.”
You may also want to watch:
VOICE APPEAL: The Voice’s Adam Isaac performed at Dream-A-Way’s summer spectacular at Bicton Park, raising more than �2500 for the charity.
- 1 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 2 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 3 Covid support team thanks community for generous help
- 4 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 5 Wins for East Budleigh and the Robinettes
- 6 Shortage of applicants lifts starting salaries
- 7 East Devon Ladies win County Pairs comp
- 8 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 9 Better broadband rollout will deliver speeds you'd expect
- 10 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
A host of entertainment was brought to a close with a firework display, sponsored by Ladram Bay. See next week’s Journal for photographs of the event.
COUNCIL QUESTION: Exmouth Town Council has questioned an application to extend a Withycombe home.
Councillors said they had no objection to the plan, which concerns 7 Chudley Close, but pointed out that the plans seemed to show the extension encroaching on a boundary fence, and asked for this to be investigated.
East Devon District Council will then rule on the plans.