Planning officers support flats plan
Plans to build 14 new flats in Exmouth have been recommended for approval by district planning officers, despite opposition from Exmouth Town Council.
The plan to build the flats at 14 Cyprus Road will be ruled on by East Devon district councillors next week.
Although councillors will have the final say, planning officers say in their report ahead of the meeting that the scheme should be approved.
Developers had gained approval for a care home on the site in 2010, however this scheme fell through after they were unable to find anyone to manage it.
Exmouth Town Council, which also objected to the care home, says the flats plan would be overdevelopment, would overlook neighbouring properties, would be against the avenues design statement, would be excessively high, and would put extra pressure on overstretched sewerage systems.
You may also want to watch:
District councillor Tim Wood has also opposed the plan, saying that part of the reason approval was granted for the care home was because of perceived demand for such a home, which the flats would not meet.
However, district planning officers say that because the flats plan is very similar to the care home plan, it would be very difficult to object to it having previously given the care home the go ahead.
- 1 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 2 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 3 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 6 Better broadband rollout will deliver speeds you'd expect
- 7 Covid support team thanks community for generous help
- 8 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 9 Exmouth Talking Newspaper celebrates 40th birthday
- 10 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
The development management committee which will rule on the application meets at EDDC’s Knowle headquarters in Sidmouth, on Tuesday at 2pm.