NHS reorganisation could cost 80 jobs
NEXT year’s reorganisation of the NHS, which could see services in Exmouth and Budleigh Salterton run from Barnstaple, could lead to up to 80 support staff losing their jobs across East Devon.
Backroom and support staff have been told their jobs could be at risk when East Devon services are taken over by Northern Devon Healthcare Trust (NDHT) for the next two years.
But health chiefs have denied redundancy notices have been sent out or that numbers of frontline staff or community hospital staff could be cut.
However, they admit some ‘support’ staff have been put on notice that their jobs ‘may be’ at risk.
By April 1, 2011, NHS services previously administered by Devon Primary Care Trust will be placed into the hands Northern Devon Healthcare Trust (NDHT) for at least two years.
You may also want to watch:
The move, rubber-stamped in October, is a stop-gap measure, part of the Coalition Government’s Transforming Community Services (TCS) agenda to dissolve Devon PCT and devolve the provision of care into the hands of local GPs.
A spokesman for NHS Devon said: “No redundancy notices have been sent to our staff.
- 1 Body of girl, 13, found on Exmouth beach
- 2 Changes to polling stations for upcoming elections
- 3 Work continues on seafront sensory garden
- 4 Two seats up for grabs in town council by-election
- 5 Work to begin on plan to protect ‘jewel in Exmouth’s crown’
- 6 Lets welcome visitors back to beautiful area of the world
- 7 Latest from the Devon Cricket League
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Plans for Beacon land to be used by hotel thrown out
- 10 Glowing tributes paid to Exmouth RNLI ‘legend’ Tim Mock
“A group of people who provide support functions have received a letter, explaining their post may be potentially at risk, and the majority have already been offered alternative positions within the local NHS.
“We are working hard to identify suitable roles for the remainder. No frontline staff in community hospitals are affected.”