‘Landmark’ tower block plan for seafront
An eight storey tower block could be built on Exmouth seafront, according to plans submitted by developers.
The proposed development would be at the corner of Victoria Road, Mamhead View, Pier Head and Dock Road.
It would include 14 apartments and three shops, along with a car park and alterations to the sea wall.
The scheme was originally proposed last year as a seven-storey development, but was withdrawn after being criticised by town councillors.
The developers, Eagle One, say that the added storey would provide a ‘vertical emphasis’ for the site - and create a landmark building, as outlined in the Exmouth Masterplan.
You may also want to watch:
They also say that the building, which would be environmentally sustainable, would complete the docks development, enhance the sea wall, and provide needed shops.
However, residents have already taken to the district council’s planning website to complain about the plans.
- 1 Body of girl, 13, found on Exmouth beach
- 2 Lets welcome visitors back to beautiful area of the world
- 3 Lympstone relocation for Lawoofs Devon
- 4 Budleigh CIC to launch more courses for adults with learning disabilities
- 5 Work continues on seafront sensory garden
- 6 Exmouth Hospiscare centre gets cash boost from Freemasons
- 7 Sea shantys sound romantic, but are accounts of life on the waves
- 8 All about the data for Exmouth youth
- 9 Lifetime membership for Exmouth in Bloom’s 100th ‘friend’
- 10 Work to begin on plan to protect ‘jewel in Exmouth’s crown’
Keith Vaughan said: “The scale of the development is far in excess of what would fit in this space.
“The maximum height should not be more than three storeys, in keeping with the existing flats. A building like this should not dominate the site, obliterating any views of the area.
“I am sure the developer will make a lot of money from this development, but it would be at the town’s expense.”
The plan will be considered by the town council at a planning meeting at the town hall this Monday, November 7, at 6pm.