District bosses to take action on empty homes
- Credit: Archant
Owners of empty homes in Exmouth could face legal action, unless they take steps to bring their properties back into use.
East Devon District Council (EDDC) says there are 102 long-term empty properties in the town – 45 in its Town ward, 36 in Littleham, nine in Halsdon, seven in Brixington, and five in Withycombe. There are also 40 in Budleigh, and nine across Woodbury and Lympstone.
The totals are made up of homes that are on the market but not sold, homes where the owner has died and relatives are going through the legal process, and homes that have been intentionally left empty by owners hoping to turn a profit once prices increase.
Measures in a new strategy to tackle the district’s vacant dwellings – of which there are 467 in total - include obtaining court orders to sell dilapidated properties and effectively seizing homes through a compulsory purchase.
EDDC bosses are due to consider its new Empty Homes Plan when they meet next week. It focuses on working with owners of long-term empty properties to return them to use, but also includes enforcement action options, which can be used as a last resort.
You may also want to watch:
In a foreword to the document, Councillor Jill Elson, EDDC’s portfolio holder for sustainable homes, writes: “Empty homes are a wasted asset - especially when there are so many people looking for homes to live in.”
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Explanation needed for failure to fulfil election pledge
- 3 Young stage stars tell magical story of Matilda
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Exmouth's 'kite twins' triumph in national freestyle championships
- 6 New funding pot for community buildings in East Devon
- 7 Devon has one of the highest recycling rates in the UK
- 8 Rail users can enjoy 'moor' views as Dartmoor Line reopens after 50 years
- 9 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 10 New live music festival is coming to Exmouth next year