Crews called to fire at Exmouth town centre laundrette
- Credit: Archant
Fire crews were called out to an overnight fire at a laundrette in Exmouth.
Crews were called at 11.23pm on Thursday, May 18, after staff at a nearby restaurant saw smoke coming from the premises, in High Street.
On arrival, firefighters saw that a tumble dryer was well alight inside the laundrette.
Initially crews were unable to enter the premises and were preparing to force their way in when a keyholder arrived at the scene.
This allowed firefighters to quickly deal with the incident, and they confirmed the fire was out at 11:51pm.
You may also want to watch:
The tumble dryer was completely destroyed by the fire, which also resulted in 50 per cent damage by smoke to the launderette and slight smoke logging to some adjacent properties.
A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said the fire started accidentally, and no persons were involved or injured.
- 1 Stunning displays for this year's Britain in Bloom awards
- 2 Former pupil returns with inspiration after success in Paralympic Games
- 3 Creative thinking will connect artists across East Devon
- 4 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 5 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 6 County council leader re-elected as voice for South West
- 7 Budleigh Hub makes gearchange to Seachange
- 8 Medics start fundraising row from Exmouth to help life-saving charities
- 9 Community rallies round to make raffle a success and help Lions
- 10 MP and councillors call for rethink on plan for cycle lane
Owner Jef Pirie said that the laundrette was expected to reopen by around 1pm on Friday.
He added: “If customers looked at the signs and safety tips then things like this would not happen.”