Jack Leonard Curtis
Jack Leonard Curtis, who grew up in Budleigh Salterton, has died in Canada. Born in 1929, he grew up in the town and for a short time worked at Staddons, before leaving to join the Coldstream Guards, where he spent time in Palestine.
Jack Leonard Curtis, who grew up in Budleigh Salterton, has died in Canada.
Born in 1929, he grew up in the town and for a short time worked at Staddons, before leaving to join the Coldstream Guards, where he spent time in Palestine.
After leaving the Guards, Mr Curtis worked in London for Sainsbury's.
He later joined the Colonial Police Force as a recruit and was posted to Bermuda, where he met his wife, Pat.
You may also want to watch:
After marrying and having a son, Kevin, the couple emigrated to Canada in 1958.
Mr Curtis worked for Dun and Bradstreet, and finally Creditel.
- 1 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 2 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 3 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 6 Better broadband rollout will deliver speeds you'd expect
- 7 Exmouth Talking Newspaper celebrates 40th birthday
- 8 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 9 Friends remember Alison as cancer support fund grows to £40,000
- 10 Covid support team thanks community for generous help
In 1986 he was diagnosed with Guillain-Barr� Syndrome, which left him paralysed.
Although he made a partial recovery, Mr Curtis spent the rest of his life in and out of hospital.
His final years were spent in the AR Goudie Eventide Home, in Kitchener, Canada.
Brother Peter Curtis said: "His family were with him when he died peacefully after all those years of pain and suffering.
"I am sure his determination, resilience, devotion, sense of humour and zest for life kept him with us over all those years.
"He will be sadly missed by everyone that knew him in Canada and in Budleigh."
Jack Curtis leaves his wife Pat, son Kevin and daughter Nadine.
He was a proud grandfather to Brent, Brooke, Olivia and Fiona.