Exmouth councillors back restaurant and flats at Thomas Tucker

PUBLISHED: 12:30 01 December 2016

The former Thomas Tucker building in Exmouth. Picture: Paul Strange.

The former Thomas Tucker building in Exmouth. Picture: Paul Strange.

Archant

Exmouth planners have backed the refurbishment of an iconic town centre building - with opposition to the scheme described as 'hogwash'.

The plan is for the former Thomas Tucker shop in The Strand to be converted, creating a ground-floor restaurant and seven flats.

The grade II listed building has deteriorated since the shop closed nine years ago.

Members of Exmouth Town Council’s planning committee this week voted to back the scheme, despite being told that the Environment Agency had said a flood risk assessment provided was not good enough.

Councillor Maddy Chapman said: “I have never heard such hogwash. The building is falling down, it’s rotting on the inside, falling to bits on the outside. No one has done anything.

“A good firm come along who are going to make it absolutely fantastic and restore it, and they come up with this.

“I’m all in favour of it, I think it’s a brilliant idea.”

Councillor Bill Nash said: “We know it’s in a flood zone one, like the whole of Exmouth.

“The fact they say they need another report, I don’t think that should stop us approving it. We all want to see Thomas Tucker improved.

“It’s been there for 140-odd years and they’ve never had a flood. It doesn’t worry me too much.”

Committee chairman Councillor Lynne Elson said: “I think we would all like to see somebody in that building.”

Cllr Nash added that a request by the Devon County Archaeologist for archaeological work to be carried out on the site, as the possible location of a medieval quay, was a surprise to him, as this had not been mentioned when other nearby buildings had been restored.

Councillors also heard that an interior staircase, previously cited as an obstacle to renovating the building, was not included in its listed building status.

The committee was told that the applicant, Ferriby Design and Construction, did not yet know who would operate the planned restaurant, but councillors were confident the developer would not choose a pub-style restaurant or takeaway.

Cllr Chapman said: “They don’t want that. It’s going to cost a lot of money. If it’s going to be over a noisy restaurant or a pub they won’t sell the flats.”

East Devon District Council will make the final decision on planning permission.

More Property News

Wed, 17:00

Days are counting down to the annual Stockland Fair.

Read more
Mon, 17:41

Possible locations for more than 57,000 new homes will be revealed next month.

Read more
Sunday, May 19, 2019

Exmouth Town councillors have 'strongly opposed' a street trading application by Oliver Bainbridge for a licensed box trailer bar in the beach gardens

Read more
Exmouth
Thursday, May 16, 2019

Plans to build up to 20,000 new homes in and around Exeter, as part of a new garden community, have been revealed by the Government.

Read more
Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Exmouth Town Council's planning committee has opposed the application for an overflow car park in Queen's Drive

Read more
Exmouth

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 8°C

Most Read Property

Useful Links

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Family Notices 24

Search for a job in Exmouth



Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists