December 9 2013 Latest news:
Saturday, December 22, 2012
How much do you know about sport, and in particular 2012 sport?
We have put together a 12 Sports for Christmas quiz for you to enjoy with friends and family.
Why not copy and paste the quiz onto a word document and then print off as many copies as you need.
The answers are included (below) so you can then mark the answer sheets and you have your very own Festive Sporting quiiz!
The best of luck - 40 out of 40 anybody?
1. List the final TOP SIX drivers at the end of the 2012 Formula One season.
2.Which Grand Prix STARTS the season and which one ends it?
3.Which driver won the 2012 British Grand Prix?
4. Name the four 2012 Wimbledon championships semi-finalists.
5. Name the two ladies finalists.
6. Name the 1,2,3 in terms of World rankings on January 1st 2012.
7. Who won the 2012 County Championship?
8. Which two teams contested the CB 40 final and who won?
9. Which country won the 2012 World Twenty20?
10. Which two teams contested the English Twenty20 Final?
11. Name the winning horse, rider, trainer and the odds in the 2012 Grand National.
12. Who was the host favourite who won the 2012 Derby, who rode the horse, who trained it and what was the starting price?
13. Name the winner of the 2012 Flat Jockeys Championship, how much did he win, who was 2nd and who third?
14. List the top rankled men’s countries in both Men’s and women’s’ world hockey after the Olympic Games.
15. Who are the current reigning English hockey champions/
16 Name the GB women’s hockey captain who suffered a broken jaw in the tournament.
17. Which boxer retired after a disastrous comeback fight in November and who did he fight?
18. Which former cricketer boxed in November, who did he box and what was the result?
19. Who did Amir Khan lose to in a 12-round fight in Las Vegas?
20. Which British boxer became the FIRST female boxer to win an Olympic Gold?
21 Which Irish side has won three of the last four Heineken Cup finals and who did they beat and by what score to win the 2012 final?
22. Who won the 2012 Six nations Championship?
23 Who has won the Six nations the most times since the first tournament tin 2000, and how many times has each country won it?
24. Which club has been runners-up in the Super League in each of the last 3 seasons?
25. Who won the Challenge Cup final in 2-012, who did they beat and what was the score?
26. What is the name of the current England Rugby League team coach?
27. Since 2000 name the TWO countries to win the World Table tennis title in both the Men’s and the Women’s’ game.
28. Name the Engloish Table Tennis Associations 1,2,3 for men as at December 1st 2012.
29. Name the English Table Tennis Associations 1, 2, 3 for women at Dec 1st 2012.
30. List the five key positions in a basketball team.
31 In November 2012 which Premier league football team was promoting basketball through its community programme?
32. Which two teams contested the Men’s basketball final at the Olympics and who won?
33. Name the ten events in the DECATHLON?
34. Who holds the current world record for the 400m and what time did he set?
35. Who holds the world record for the highest HIGH JUMP, what’s his nationality and how high did he jump?
36. Which woman has jumped the highest HIGH JUMP, her nationality and how high was the jump?
37 Who contested the 2012 Premier League darts play-off final?
38. Name the legendary Darts commentator who passed away in Nov?
39. Who won the 2012 PDC World darts title and who did he beat in the final?
40. Name the ONLY three players to retain the PDC World darts title having won it for the very first time the year before.
and the answers to the 12 sports at Christmas quiz...........................
Motor racing: 1. The top six in the 2012 Formula One season: 1, Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Racing-Renault, 2 Fernando Alonso - Ferrari; 3, Kimi Räikkönen - Lotus-Renault; 4, Lewis Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes; 5, Jenson Button - McLaren-Mercedes; 6, Mark Webber - Red Bull Racing-Renault. 2. Australia is the FIRST and Brazil the LAST 3, Mark Webber won the 2102 British Grand Prix. Tennis 4, The four Wimbledon semi-finalists were; Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. 5, The ladies’ finalists were Agnieszka Radwanska (Poland) and Serena Williams (USA) 6, The 1,2,3 in World Tennis (Men’s) on January 1st 2012 was 1, Novak Djokovic, 2 Rafael Nadal and 3, Roger Federer; Cricket; 7, Warwickshire won the County Championship; 8.Hampshire Royals beat Warwickshire Bears in the final of the CB40; 9, West Indies won the World T20; 10, Hampshire Royals beat Yorkshire Carnegie in the T20 Finals. Horse racing; 11, Neptune Collonges trained by Paul Nicholls and ridden by Daryl Jacob won the 2012 Grand National at odds of 33/1; 12, Hot favourite Camelot won the 2012 Derby, trained by AO O’Brien and ridden by JP O’Brien at odds of 8/13F, 13, The winner of the 2012 Flat Jockeys Championship was Richard Hughes with 172 winners and £2 million of prize money. 2nd was Silvestre De Sousa (131 wins) and third was William Buick (123 wins); Hockey, 14, Following the Olympic Games the World Rankings for Hockey in the men’s game went: 1 Germany, 2 Australia, 3 Netherlands, 4 England 5 Spain, 6 New Zealand. In the ladies game it went 1, Netherlands, 2 Argentina, 3 New Zealand, 4 England, 5 Germany, 6 Australia; 15, The current reigning English Men’s hockey champions Reading Hockey Club who beat league winners East Grinstead Hockey Club in the 2012 Championship Play-off final. 16, Kate Walsh was the GB hockey team captain who suffered a broken jaw in the Olympic games. Boxing; 17, Ricky Hatton retired from boxing following his November loss to Vyacheslav Senchenko; 18, Former England cricket captain Freddie Flintoff fought Richard Dawson in Manchester; 19, Danny Garcia won a technical knockout in the 4th round of a 12 round fight in Las Vegas against Amir Khan; 20, Great Britain’s Nicola Adams became the first female boxer to win an Olympic gold medal, outclassing Chinese great Ren Cancan in the London 2012 final. Rugby Union 21, Leinster have won three of the last four Heineken Cup finals and beat Ulster 42-14 to win the 2012 final. 22, Wales were the 2012 Six Nations winners; 23, France have won the Six nations the most times with FIVE wins since the first Six Nations was contested in 2000. England have won 4, Wales 3 and Ireland 1. Rugby League; 24, Leeds have been runners-up in each of the last three seasons; 25, Warrington won the Challenge Cup final in 2-012 beating Leeds 35-18 at Wembley; 26, Steve McNamara is the current England Rugby League team coach. Table Tennis; 27, Since 2000 only Sweden (2000) and China (2001, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012) have won the World table Tennis title. In the women’s game China have been just as dominant wining all but one of the titles, the only other team to win the World Title were Singapore who won it in 2010. 28, As of December 1st 2012 the top three English table tennis players were ranked 1, Paul Drinkhall; 2 Liam Pitchford and 3 Andrew Baggaley; 29, As of December 1st 2012 the top three English women’s table tennis players were 1, Joanna Parker; 2 Kelly Sibley and 3 Hannah Hicks; Basketball; 30, The five main positions in basketball are 1, Point guard: 2 Shooting guard: 3 Small forward: 4 Power forward: 5 Centre; 31, In November Wigan Athletic got involved with basketball, in their local area through the Wigan Athletic Community Trust; 32, The USA beat Spain to win the 2012 Olympic Gold; Athletics; 33, The Men’s decathlon is contested over two days – on day one it’s; 100 metres, Long jump, Shot put, High jump and then 400 metres. On day two it’s 110 metres hurdles, Discus throw, Pole vault, Javelin throw and finally 1500 metres; 34, American Michael Johnson holds the current World record for the 400m with a time of 43.18 seconds; 35, The world record for the highest ever high jump has stood since 1993 when Cubas Javier Sotomayor achieved 2.45m; 36, The highest ever high jump by a woman athlete has stood since 1987! Bulgarian Stefka Kostadinova jumped 2.09. Darts, 37 Phil Taylor beat Simon Whitlock 12-7 in the Premier league play-off final; 38, Sid Waddell was the legendary commentator who passed away in 2012; 39, Adrian Lewis won the 2012 PDC World darts Championship, beating Andy Hamilton 7-3 in the final.; 40. Adrian Lewis, Eric Bristow and Raymond Van Barneveld are the ONLY players to retain the PDC World darts title having won it for the very first time the year before.