Exmouth Town stage stunning fight-back to win in Cornwall

PUBLISHED: 22:24 28 October 2018 | UPDATED: 22:24 28 October 2018

Exmouth Town at home to Elburton Villa. Ref exsp 42 18TI 2773. Picture: Terry Ife

Exmouth Town at home to Elburton Villa. Ref exsp 42 18TI 2773. Picture: Terry Ife


Exmouth Town warmed up for next Saturday’s (November 3) FA Vase tie at home to Western League Premier Division outfit, Bristol-based Cadbury Heath in fine form following their stunning fight-back on Saturday when they came from 3-1 down to defeat top Cornish side St Austell 4-3, writes John Dibsdall.

As you would expect from a side that had scored a dozen goals in their last two home games the ‘Lillywhites’ started strongly, but Town eased their way into the game and it was somewhat against the run of play when the home side opened the scoring on 37 minutes.

A long ball out of defence and a first time shot from the edge of the penalty area saw the ball nestling in the bottom corner.

Town went into the break on level terms after Aaron Denny had set up Ace High to let go a pile-driver that was too hot for the ‘keeper to hold.

Five minutes into the second half and the hosts had regained the lead and then, despite having a central defender sent off for two yellow cards, scored their third with an unfortunate own goal with 30 minutes remaining.

Seven minutes later Town had reduced the deficit with a Nathan Cooper shot and two minutes later the equaliser came from a most unlikely source.

On as a substitute, following an injury to Kieran Willdigs, Steve Avery collected the ball fully 40-yards from goal near the left hand touchline. His driven cross was completely missed by an air kick from the defender leaving a stunned ‘keeper stranded as the ball ended up in the back of the net!

As both sides looked for the winner High had a header cannon back off the crossbar, Cooper had a shot well saved until, with just three minutes of normal time remaining Dan Boere lobbed the ‘keeper and Cooper followed up to walk the ball home.

With injuries to players from both sides, almost 10 minutes of added time was played before the final whistle was blown to the relief of the 40 plus Town supporters that had made the trip.

Apart from Willdigs, Denny sustained a hamstring injury and Town were already missing Jamie Dirrane who has had a hernia operation.

Town manager Kevin Hill will be hoping that Willdigs and Denny are fit for Saturday knowing that Dirrane will probably be missing until December.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Exmouth Journal visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Exmouth Journal staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Exmouth Journal account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Other Sport Stories

4 minutes ago

Sidmouth & East Devon Fencing Club (SEDFC) sent a number of youngsters to Plymouth to compete at the Buckland Cup, a handicap junior foil meeting, and a number of medals were brought home, writes Nigel Manning.

Read more
5 minutes ago

The sporting adage of ‘you are never too old’ certainly applies to the news that Exmouth Harrier Ray Elston has just made his England debut at the grand age of 79, writes Des White.

Read more
11 minutes ago

Madeira ladies continue to do well in the county competition, writes Jean Healey.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:22

Exmouth had their season-long unbeaten home run ended as they slipped to defeat at the hands of a visiting Bournemouth side that continue to sport a 100 per cent South West Premier record, both home and away, after their 30-13 Imperial Ground success.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:30

Exe Sailing Club held a well-supported ‘Volunteers Night’ at the clubhouse.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:25

Brixington Blues Under-13s suffered their first league defeat of the season, going down 3-1 to Exeter Panthers.

Read more
Mon, 19:29

Exmouth Town Reserves were edged out in what proved to be an entertaining Macron League top flight game at Witheridge where the home side won 2-1.

Read more
Mon, 19:29

The November Stableford was played at East Devon on Saturday, writes Paul Willoughby.

Read more
Mon, 19:29

East Budleigh Reserves returned to the top of Macron League Division Seven with a comprehensive 6-0 victory at Starcross-based side HT Dons last Saturday, writes Mark Auton.

Read more
Mon, 10:26

Gazelles, playing their fifth game of the Exmouth Netball League season, went down 72-18 against a powerful and vastly more experienced Comets side, writes Hayley Taylor.

Read more

Local Weather

Heavy Showers

Heavy Showers

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 2°C

Most Read Sport

Useful Links

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Photo Orders
Family notices
Google Plus
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Exmouth Journal twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Find planning applications