Exmouth Town ship last minute goal to drop two points

Thursday, December 5, 2013
10:38 AM

Exmouth Town 2, Ivybridge Town 2

For the second time this season Town conceded a goal in added time that has put a dent in their title aspirations with Ivybridge coming from two goals down to draw 2-2, writes John Dibsdall.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Town’s supporters were greeted with the news before the game that goalkeeper Grant Fisher, who has been in outstanding form this season, has been signed by Southern Premier Division Truro City and Fisher starred on his home debut keeping a clean sheet as Truro ended a run of three consecutive defeats with a 1-0 victory. Town had signed eighteen year old Zack Lee as cover from St Martins and the youngster performed competently on his debut.

Town thought they had opened the scoring in the ninth minute when James Ansell turned in Lloyd Gardner’s cross but the referee’s assistant deemed the ball had gone out of play. Lee was called on to make a useful save as Ivybridge threatened but the nearest either side came to scoring in the first half was an Adam Fowler volley that crashed against the crossbar.

Town started the second half in the ascendency and after Gardner had one effort cleared off the line he opened the scoring on fifty two minutes. Taking an astute pass from Karl Rickard he turned his marker and rifled the ball home. Six minutes later Town doubled their lead as Gardner’s cross was turned in at the far post by Ansell. At this stage you felt Town we going to record a comfortable victory but the complexion of the game changed five minutes later when Gardner was forced off with a hamstring injury.

On sixty eight minutes Ivybridge wasted a chance shooting wide when well placed but they made no mistake two minutes later when their leading goal scorer cut inside and fired home to reduce the deficit. As the visitors turned the screw Town were forced to defend but appeared to weather the storm and as time approached the ninety minute mark were content to keep the football and run down the clock. All of their effort was undone when with two minutes of added time played Ivybridge launched one last attack and as Town failed to clear a goalmouth scramble ensued and a loose ball was driven home.

With Bodmin winning at Elburton Villa the draw has seen both Town slip a place to third in the league but with games in hand.

Town are without a game this weekend and are next at home on Saturday December 14th when Tavistock are the visitors.

Football at Southern Road on Saturday features the reserves in a fourth round Firewatch Devon Senior Cup tie against Bideford based Park Utd. The visitors are currently second in the North Devon Senior league having suffered just one defeat with eleven victories from their twelve matches played.

Their latest success was a 16-1 massacre and Town will need to be at their very best to progress. They go into the game full of confidence having beaten the University last week 2-1 and are now third in their division with games in hand.


Photo Orders
Follow us on Facebook
View or book a notice

Join our newsletter

Local Search 24 – East Devon
Looking for a:


Search radius:

Exmouth's trusted business directory