August 31 2014 Latest news:
Saturday, May 24, 2014
A planning application for year-round beach huts at Budleigh Salterton has been withdrawn by district council chiefs.
East Devon District Council had submitted the application for year-round huts, having already had them in place last winter, after its attention was drawn to a planning ‘anomaly’.
The plan had faced opposition from Budleigh Salterton Town Council, and from the Environment Agency, a statutory consultee, which said the plan would put people and property ‘increasingly and unnecessarily’ at risk.
Due to these concerns, town and district councillor Tom Wright told the town council last week that he had recommended the application be withdrawn, and now this decision has been made.
Speaking at this week’s town planning meeting, Cllr Wright, who is EDDC’s deputy portfolio holder for the environment, said: “It has been withdrawn on a number of grounds.
“The original report submitted to the planners said no account was taken of wave action, which is a bit silly when you have got beach huts on a beach.
“In view of the report that has now come in from the Environment Agency the portfolio holders have decided to withdraw the application.”
Cllr Wright said he knew the news would be disappointing to some hut users who wanted year-round huts, but said the application had not been well thought out.
District councillor and town planning chairman Alan Dent said: “There have been a large number of objections to this proposal, so I think it’s a wise move, but it allows us to go back and negotiate with the portfolio holder what we do want.”
When the year-round huts were brought in last year, there was an associated hike in fees of around 50 per cent. Cllr Wright said this would now be reviewed by EDDC.
Fees are expected to revert to near the previous levels, with a small increase allowing for inflation.