December 12 2013 Latest news:
Friday, September 27, 2013
The public are being warned about the dangers of broken glass and debris on the Imperial Recreation Ground.
Improvement works on the foreshore and the purpose of upgrading and strengthening the marine defences are almost complete.
But a consequence of the work is that some debris from the old dump underneath has been disturbed.
The Journal highlighted the dangers in August after kite surfers complained that broken glass and old batteries had been found on the edge of the Duck Pond.
One kite surfer even cut his foot.
A spokesman for East Devon District Council said due to the amount of waste material that had been dumped at the site decades ago, it was always likely that the works would disturb submerged material that would later need to be cleared away.
Submerged material – in particular pieces of glass and china – has been surfacing in recent weeks and each new tide seems to reveal more small pieces of debris.
He added: “The only unknowns were how much material would come to the surface, what it would be and how long the problem would last.”
EDDC is taking down signs at the Recreation Ground that informed the public about the improvement works and its impact on water access and is replacing them with warning signs about the glass.
Councillor Iain Chubb, EDDC’s cabinet member for environment, said: “We have a programme for inspecting and clearing the debris as it appears and this will continue over the winter and beyond.”
It’s an unfortunate spin-off from this essential work that we always knew was going to be an issue.
He added: “The main works here are now complete. To finish off, grass and trees will be planted over the autumn and through to spring 2014. This is a good job well done. We just need to see it through by dealing with the glass debris in the short term.”