Wednesday, March 5, 2014
Village leaders in East Budleigh are to restate their case for new homes there to be built on a site preferred by villagers, rather than district planners.
East Devon District Council (EDDC) is currently consulting on its villages development plan, which says East Budleigh needs to accommodate 15 homes.
When the village was first consulted, East Budleigh Parish Council did a public survey, and from the results of this submitted that 12 homes should be built on a site at Carters Yard, alongside the B3178 to the south of the village, and another three at Franks Patch in Middle Street.
However, when EDDC produced its draft plan, it had allocated all 15 homes for land at Syon House, between Oak Hill and Frogmore Road, despite this previously being described by the village as a ‘last resort’.
At this week’s parish council meeting, councillors decided that they would respond to the draft plan by restating their case for their original submission, with concerns raised about the Syon House site.
Councillor Mike Clarke said: “If they do develop the Syon House site, for anyone there to make use of the village’s facilities, they would have to cross that main road, and something pretty permanent would have to be put in place for them to do that.”
Councillor Stan Roberts said: “Clearly the Carter’s site was put forward by a considerable majority of the village.
“I think [EDDC] has made the case for Carters as agricultural land rather than a green field site, but in their documents they keep saying it’s a green field site. I think we need to go back and say that’s wrong.”
The council also heard from county councillor Christine Channon that she was ‘deeply concerned’ about the Syon plan.
She cited concerns about the main road, which she said has seen three accidents recently
She also spoke about water run-off, which she said would exacerbate flooding in Frogmore Road.
The council resolved to make a representation, and chairman Steve Baker encouraged residents who had concerns to do the same.
EDDC is consulting on the plan until March 10.
Any land allocated for housing would still need to obtain planning permission.