UPDATE: No fire station will close

14:06 10 January 2013

One of the new light rescue pumps which could be rolled out if new proposals outlined by Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service are given the go ahead by its fire authority.

One of the new light rescue pumps which could be rolled out if new proposals outlined by Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service are given the go ahead by its fire authority.

Archant

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service sets out proposals following a reduction in its government grant.

There will be no fire station closures, compulsory redundancies or removal of pumps under proposals being put forward by Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service after its funding was slashed by the Government.

The service today (Thursday) announced proposals to save £5.5million as a result of the reduced grant settlement for the next two years. It has been cut by 10.3 per cent in 2013 and by a further 7.3 per cent in 2014.

This will mean the service will lose £3.4million in the next financial year and a further £2.1million the year after.

Both the chairman of the fire and rescue authority, Councillor Mike Healey, and Chief Fire Officer Lee Howells expressed their disappointment at the settlement, which sees the service now receiving the third worst grant settlement when it previously received the third best.

Mr Howells said: “The grant reductions for our service were harsher than we would have liked.

“This means that we will need to manage that we will need to manage our service with approximately £5.5m less each year and won’t be able to operate in the way in which we currently do.

“However, at this stage, we do not plan on closing fire stations, removing fire engines or making staff compulsorily redundant.”

The fire service has met with MPs to raise concerns regarding the settlement and the impact it is likely to have.

In 2012-13 the grant funding was £32.6m which drops to £29.2m for 2013-14 and again to £27.1m for 2014-15.

Mr Howells said: “I am confident the changes that we have outlined, subject to full public consultation, will strike a balance between needing to make savings and also maintaining and improving public safety.

“Whilst the financial assessment is challenging we are confident that the arrangements we are putting into place will not have a detrimental affect on public safety in these two years.”

“Fires have fallen by 50 per cent over the last 10 years as a result of prevention approaches. Fire deaths are the lowest level recorded in recent memory.”

Proposals include increasing prevention work in the community, introducing more light rescue pumps, reducing staff numbers through natural turnover and changing the status of some fire engines from wholetime to retained crewing.

The proposals will be discussed at a meeting of the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Authority on January 18 where it will decide if they should go out to public consultation.

Further government grant reductions are expected for 2015-2018. The fire services planning modelling forecasts further significant reductions by 2017, possibly £11m.

Members of the public are urged to voice their views when the public consultation process begins.

Related articles

0 comments

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 17:08

Emergency services were called out this afternoon after a vehicle collided with a pedestrian in Exmouth town centre.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:37
Clyst St George teenager George Wheatley being presented his certificate by Victoria Gage.

A Clyst St George teenager has been presented with a certificate after successfully completing his apprenticeship at a natural ingredient company.

Read more
Yesterday, 10:22
Accomplished chef Josh McDonald-Johnson who runs the Pickle Shack is pictured in the kitchen of the Budleigh Salterton public hall preparing for 105 guests to the pop-up restaurant Grub Club event on Saturday. Ref exb 8004-09-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn

More than 100 diners have enjoyed an evening of gourmet, locally-sourced food in Budleigh.

Read more
Mon, 09:16
Brian and his mum Jean

‘Scumbag’ burglars have ransacked the home of a cancer victim just two days after he died, stealing valuables left to the charity who cared for him in his final days.

Read more
Mon, 09:12
logo

A Marks & Spencer food hall is coming to Exmouth - and retail bosses want to build it on the ageing bus depot.

Read more
Sunday, March 1, 2015

Supermarket giant Tesco’s plans for Budleigh have been opposed by town planners.

Read more

Local Weather

Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 9°C

min temp: -0°C

Most Read News

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Family Notices 24

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition today E-edition



Exmouth's trusted business finder