March 11 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, February 8, 2012
A security guard protecting Exmouth’s seafront bowling alley development was hit over the head by two intruders - promting a police appeal for help and witnesses.
Exmouth police are appealing for help tracing two thugs who attacked a security guard – hitting him over the head after breaking into the seafront bowling alley.
The two men, who are said to have eastern European accents, broke into the bowling alley development on Tuesday night, hitting the security guard over the head with a metal scaffolding pole.
Developer Mark Quinn, of Harlequinns Leisure, said everyone working on the site was shocked by the brutal attack.
He said the site in the past had been targeted by youths breaking in, but never ‘criminals’.
Mr Quinn said: “It’s terrible. They could have killed him.
“He was slashed in the head. They hit him with a bar and he ducked so they slashed him.
“We are all recoiling from what’s happened at the moment.”
Devon and Cornwall police said the security guard received a two-inch slash to the top of his head in the attack.
The man also suffered a ‘large bump’ and swelling to his head, officers added.
The police said the security guard was treated at the scene by paramedics and referred to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital as a precaution.
The police have released a description of the two men who attacked the security guard.
Both were eastern European-sounding, one was possibly wearing a balaclava.
The other man was wearing black shoes with three white Adidas stripes.
Both men were wearing dark clothing.
The security guard was attacked sometime on Tuesday night, between 11.30pm and 12.10am.
The police are keen to hear from anyone with information about the incident, or who may have seen two men acting suspiciously in the area around the time of the assault, or running away from the area of seafront bowling alley.
Mark Quinn said the bowling alley continues to steadily take shape, as these latest photographs show.
The building, which since construction started in 2008 suffered several setbacks, with work coming to a standstill in 2010, now has many ground and upper floor windows installed.
Last year Mr Quinn said the building was on track for completion and would open in phases, starting with the ground floor, during the early part of 2012.
● If you have information for the police in relation to the attack, telephone 101, quoting crime reference KE/12/259.