Search scaled down for missing Exmouth fisherman
PUBLISHED: 15:52 12 September 2012 | UPDATED: 16:08 12 September 2012
UPDATE: the search has been scaled down for a missing fisherman from Exmouth who went missing on Tuesday morning when his boat capsized and sank off Berry Head.
The search for a missing Exmouth fisherman has been scaled down, with lifeboats returning to base.
The Maritime Coastguard Agency said the lifeboats searching for a fisherman named locally as Geoff Ingram, were stood down on Wednesday afternoon after searching the waters off Berry Head.
A MCA spokeswoman said Mr Ingram, of Exmouth, had yet to be located.
She said: “An extensive search has been carried out. The Exmouth and Torbay lifeboats have been stood down and returned to base.”
Skipper Mr Ingram was reported missing on Tuesday morning after his 15-foot beam trawler, Sarah Jayne, capsized and sunk while he was still onboard, some two-and-a-half miles off Berry Head.
His two crew members were plucked to safety from the water by a passing fishing trawler, whose crew raised the alarm.
When Mr Ingram was reported missing, a major sea and air rescue was launched.
It was halted when dusk fell on Tuesday but resumed on Wednesday morning with lifeboat crews from Exmouth and Torbay searching the waters where the boat sank.
The Sarah Jayne had been returning to shore with its catch of sprats when it capsized.