Scrapped Strand plan: £33,000 bill

PUBLISHED: 10:05 19 March 2012

A view of the Strand Gardens in Exmouth. Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 5026-16-11SH

A view of the Strand Gardens in Exmouth. Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 5026-16-11SH

Archant

Almost £33,000 of taxpayers’ cash was spent on the scrapped Strand pavilion plans, The Journal can reveal.

A Freedom of Information (FoI) request to the county council shows that public cash was spent on architect’s fees, building regulation costs and planning fees.

In February, public pressure forced the Conservative-run county council to withdraw a second set of blueprints for a scaled-down £400,000 building, the day before planners were due to decide the application.

This was despite the plans first being floated more than two years ago.

The building, which could have housed a café, was intended to be the final piece of the £3m Strand redevelopment, with the rental income intended to pay for the area’s upkeep.

But, from the outset, the idea sparked anger from café owners, who collected a 911-name petition.

It was the second time the plans had been withdrawn. Last May, the original designs were pulled because the project would have gone £300,000 over budget.

Now, thanks to a FoI request, it has been revealed that fees paid to Paul Humphries Architects were £31,670.52, with the last payment in March 2011.

The cost of the original planning application was £670, with the second application not charged because it was made within 12 months of the first.

The final charges were building regulation approval fees for the first building, totalling £510.63.

Alan Haywood, of Franklins, who campaigned against the building, said: “If they had listened to the public in the first place, it would have never got to this stage.

“Originally, a small kiosk was proposed, but it grew and they ran with it because they thought it would make money.

“It has done the opposite and now it’s bitten them in the backside. It is their own fault.”

The Conservative county councillor for Exmouth Halsdon and Woodbury, Bernard Hughes, said: “When I first saw the plans, I was very surprised with the size, complexity and magnificence of them.

“I was never supportive of a cafe there – the town centre is well served by cafes.”

Lib Dem county councillor Eileen Wragg said: “There was a resounding ‘no’ by the public.

“I could never see how the nominal return would have justified the outlay - the figures just didn’t stack up

“We listened to the public and what’s done is done.”

2 comments

  • What a disgrace! They started off by turning the Strand gardens into a vast characterless empty space then made a total dogs d*** of this too. Incredible incompetence.

    Report this comment

    bertie windsor

    Monday, March 19, 2012

  • 33,000 here, 5,000 there, three million somewhere else. What a farce. Its not as if there wasn't ample warning given that these plans for our once, lovely Strand Gardens were wanted or any good. If the concerned councillors have any ounce of honour, now is the time for mass resignations. Hopefully before they do anything more to wreak or town. I am now thinking of the damage and costs in the coming battle over the miss placed supermarket and knocking down of the Elizabeth hall.

    Report this comment

    captaineric

    Monday, March 19, 2012

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Other News Stories

16:29

Withycombe primary sports day was held at Withycombe rugby club this year, the event was very well attended by parents who cheered the children on.

Read more
18:30

There’s an inspiring exhibition of photographs at Exmouth’s Kennaway Centre tomorrow (Friday, June 23), giving you a taste of the ‘creative’ courses the venue has to offer.

Read more
16:09

Nostalgia - On this week in 1944: Exmouth’s Salute the Soldier campaign nears its goal of £150,000.

Clippings from the Exmouth Journals of 1944.

Read more

Police are investigating a spate of thefts from vehicles between Friday, June 16 and Monday, June 19.

Read more
09:30

Campervan drivers parking on Exmouth seafront will bring benefits to the town, but must abide by the law, the Caravan and Motorhome Club has said.

Read more

Fire crews were called out to a bedroom fire in Exmouth last night (Wednesday, June 21).

Read more
06:30

An Exmouth artist is celebrating after being named as the winner of a prize awarded by the organisers of a major public art event.

Read more
Yesterday, 15:51

A warning has been issued after youngsters were seen ‘tombstoning’ into the water on Exmouth seafront.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:36

Concerns have been raised that young families in Budleigh Salterton could be priced out of new affordable homes being built in the town.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:41

Police are investigating an alleged common assault which occurred at a hotel in Exmouth.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 14°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Local business directory

Exmouth's trusted business finder

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists


Find planning applications