A prankster from Exmouth has told how he became stuck in a friend’s dog flap - and was cut free by the fire service- after a practical joke went wrong

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Prankster Simon Cavanagh was the butt of his own joke when he got stuck in a dog flap and had to be cut free by the fire brigade.

Single dad of two Simon, of The Marles, was playing a joke on his friend on Saturday evening when the prank went wrong, leaving him in a ‘hole’ lot of trouble.

Simon, 30, who suffered bruises and cuts in his quest for fun, said he was unrepentant for his actions, just sorry for upsetting his pal, whose door he broke. “I don’t regret anything. I didn’t expect to get stuck. I found it funny, but in the end it wasn’t,” he said.

“I feel awful for my friend. I didn’t think about the consequences.”

Simon planned to squeeze through his nearby pal’s dog flap while he was out, to play a practical joke. He became wedged through a hand-cut dog-sized hole in the door. The prankster’s mirth at becoming stuck was short-lived when the rough edges of the hole began cutting into his flesh, restricting his blood flow.

Friends he was with tried in vain to free him – using a bread knife to cut him out. Eventually, the fire brigade arrived.

“The fire brigade said another 10 minutes and I would have passed out,” said Simon.

“It was slowly cutting into me. I thought ‘this is it’. My arms were going numb and the blood was rushing to my head.

“I was scared. I have never felt so much pain in all my life.

Simon’s friend, who had been enjoying a barbecue in Exmouth when the police arrived to break the news of the drama playing out at his home, said: “It was a bit of a practical joke that went wrong. It was just stupid. I didn’t find it funny at all.”

0 comments

Photo Orders
Letters
Competitions
Subscriptions
Follow us on Facebook
View or book a notice

Join our newsletter

Local Search 24 – East Devon
Looking for a:

Location:

Search radius:

Exmouth's trusted business directory