Neighbour saves Exmouth home after tortoise mishap

15:00 03 November 2011

Jeffrey the three year old tortoise is pictured with brothers Joe and Max aged six and fifteen months. Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 6625-43-11SH To order your copy of this photograph visit www.exmouthjournal.co.uk and click on myphotos24

Jeffrey the three year old tortoise is pictured with brothers Joe and Max aged six and fifteen months. Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 6625-43-11SH To order your copy of this photograph visit www.exmouthjournal.co.uk and click on myphotos24

Archant

An eagle-eyed neighbour saved a home in the Colony from fire after Jeffrey the tortoise knocked his heat lamp onto bedding.

Jeffrey the tortoise had a lucky escape after knocking over his heat lamp and setting fire to his bedding.

The tortoise owes his life - and his owners’ house was saved - thanks to eagle-eyed neighbour Jim Gow.

Jeffrey’s owner, Lisa Greenway, 37, of Egremont Road, praised her neighbour’s quick-thinking, for raising the alarm.

The mum-of-two said of her neighbour: “He was brilliant. I would like to thank him for raising the alarm quickly because we weren’t there.

“It was so lucky Jeffrey did what he did when Jim was there.

“Jeffrey was hot-footing it that day.”

Modest Jim, 51, said: “All neighbours would have done the same thing. I don’t think I did anything special.

“If the role was reversed, Lisa would have done the same for me. Anybody would do it.”

The drama began when the three-year-old tortoise knocked his UVA heat lamp off the side of his wooden and plastic box, which was on the family’s dining room table.

When the light landed on the tortoise’s grass pellet bedding, it began to smoulder, turning the wooden table to charcoal.

Soon the whole house filled with smoke, which was spotted by neighbour Jim after returning from a trip to see his parents in Bedfordshire.

Spotting what he thought was ‘a thin muslin curtain’ stretched across Lisa’s front window, smelling fire and realising his neighbour’s home was smoke filled, Jim called the fire brigade.

Fire crews from Exmouth and Exeter were called to the Colony home. Peering through the letterbox, they were met by smoke.

Fearing Lisa, her husband Mark and two children, Joe and Max, were trapped inside, the crews were about to break the door down when a family member arrived with key.

Watch commander Bob Sturtivant said the outcome could have ended in tragic circumstances had the fire broken out at night.

He said the ground floor of the family home was smoke logged down to the floor. The fire officer said the crews fitted smoke detectors to the property and delivered fire safety leaflets to neighbouring homes.

Mr Sturtivant urged people to ensure their pet equipment was safe.

He said closing internal doors would curb smoke damage to homes affected by fire.

0 comments

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 12:30
Brixington Pre-School sports day. Ref exe 9382-26-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife

Fun was had by all when Brixington Pre-school held its sports day at Knappe Cross Community Centre.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:00
Mountlands Language School held a party at The Point for the support given by its host families. Ref exe 9867-26-15AW. Picture: Alex Walton

An Exmouth-based international language school celebrated a recent award by taking its host families out for a party.

Read more
Yesterday, 06:30

There’s a new face at the helm of a group of town traders, after Helen Warren was elected as the new chairman of Budleigh in Business.

Read more
Mon, 12:30

Budleigh could take control of its own destiny when it comes to housing development, after civic leaders agreed to investigate a Neighbourhood Plan for the town.

Read more
Mon, 11:00

Budleigh Salterton residents facing the prospect of a cycle track being built behind their homes are hopeful their concerns will be listened to after planners agreed to meet them

Read more
Mon, 06:30
Geoffrey and Christine Seward back home in Exmouth after they discovered a man was found to be hiding in their vehicle as they drove through Plymouth after returning from France. Ref exe 2125-27-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn

An Exmouth couple returning from holiday in France were stunned when a noise from the back of their campervan turned out to be a suspected illegal immigrant.

Read more
Sunday, July 5, 2015
Kittleham orchard

Residents spent a day tending to the Littleham Community Orchard.

Read more
Sunday, July 5, 2015
Ten year old Sophia Rehbock is pictured in her garden at Rosehill which was one of the open gardens for Hospiscare in Budleigh Salterton over the weekend. Ref exb 2519-27-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn

The organisers of the Budleigh Open Gardens event for Hospiscare have hailed it as a success.

Read more
Saturday, July 4, 2015
Waltons

For more than 60 years, the iconic Walton’s department store was Exmouth’s answer to Grace Brothers in the sitcom Are you Being Served, complete with haberdashery and lingerie departments, menswear and ladieswear, a huge toy department and perfumery.

Read more
Saturday, July 4, 2015
A former contestant on The Voice Adam Isaac entertains the crowds at the party to celebrate 20 years of the Devon Air Ambulance at Darts Farm on Saturday. Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 4029-35-12SH To order your copy of this photograph visit www.exmouthjournal.co.uk and click on myphotos24

A Devon singer and TV star has been added to the bill at an Exmouth charity’s first-ever fundraising ball.

Read more

Local Weather

Rain

Rain

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 15°C

Most Read News

Great British Life


Great British Life

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition today E-edition



Exmouth's trusted business finder