Mary King: two-month ban for dangerous riding

PUBLISHED: 13:35 12 June 2014 | UPDATED: 14:45 12 June 2014

Mary King with Imperial Cavalier

Mary King with Imperial Cavalier

Archant

Event rider Mary King has told fans of her embarrassment at being banned from competing for two months after receiving a warning for dangerous riding last weekend

Olympic medallist three day event rider Mary King has apologised to her fans after she was banned from competing for two months for dangerous riding.

The ban came into force after her performance last weekend at Bramham Horse Trials, where mum-of-two Mary, 53, from Salcombe Regis, near Sidmouth, received a yellow card from the event’s ground jury.

It was felt Mary, who retired MHS King Joules half way around the cross country course, should have pulled the horse up sooner.

The London 2012 silver medallist has been suspended from competing until early August.

The popular rider – a role model for many young riders – said she was ‘embarrassed’ by the ban and ‘sorry’ it had happened, adding she was ‘shocked and devastated’ to be suspended.

Mary, who posted the news on her website, said: “I received a yellow card at Bramham Horse Trials last weekend. I was given one last year and if you receive two within a 12 month period you are suspended for two months, which means I am unable to event from now until August 9th.”

Mary said she took the decision to pull up MHS King Joules – known as Jay at home - because she found him ‘disappointingly strong and unruly’ across country.

She said: “I pulled him up half way around the cross country course and retired after we had jumped the first part of a rail, ditch, rail combination. He dropped his back legs on the first rail and the frangible pin broke.

“It felt dangerous and neither of us were enjoying ourselves so I thought it best to stop before we had an accident.

“The ground jury have interviewed me and said I should have pulled up at the fence before.

“They said because I am a high profile rider, and role model for younger riders, I should have been more sensible

“I received a yellow card for dangerous riding. I was completely shocked and devastated.”

Mary’s daughter, Emily, will take on her mother’s rides until the ban is lifted.

“I had a couple of younger horses doing some events during June and July, so Emily is going to ride them,” said Mary.

“I love my horses and love the sport. I am very sorry this has happened.”

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 12:30

Guest of honour Conrad Humphreys said: “I very much enjoyed the Exeter College awards evening and celebrating the success of the students.

“As a former student and rugby player at the college - I have very fond memories of my time there before heading off to sail around the world in the 1993/4 Whitbread.”

Read more
Yesterday, 12:11

Our Devon quiz is back for another round!

Read more
Yesterday, 06:55

Exmouth Town Council will be temporarily closed from January 29-30 while office equipment and phones are moved to its new home.

Read more
Thu, 17:00

Artist Anna Fitzgerald, of Seadog Gallery, in Gussiford Lane, Exmouth, is calling for a bra army of support; she needs 4,000 over-shoulder-boulder-holder donations for the display, which will celebrate the suffragette movement and women winning the right to vote.

Read more
Thu, 12:00

“We are going to find it very hard to balance our books without changing things significantly. We need teachers, but all the other things schools do – all the things that are not our statutory responsibility – we are looking at cutting. We are talking about the life chances of children being damaged,” said Exmouth’s Exeter Road head teacher Paul Gosling.

Read more
Thu, 11:04

There’s good news for Exmouth’s Famous Old Barrel pub, which has been closed since last October.

Read more
Thu, 08:45

Devon and Cornwall residents are being polled on whether they would pay another £12 a year to ‘protect frontline policing’.

Read more
Wed, 16:28

The council has teamed up with South West Ambulance and will invest £5,000 in the life saving equipment.

Read more

Chris Wright, whose family used to run Exmouth Fun Park before eviction in September last year, has critised EDDC over a planned £150,000 temporary play park on the site in Queen’s Drive.

Read more
Wed, 10:44

Aaron Mills, of Capel Lane, pleaded guilty at Exeter Magistrates Court to criminal damage at Fever and Boutiqpue Nightclub, in The Parade.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 7°C

min temp: 5°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Reader Travel


Read Online

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Local business directory

Exmouth's trusted business finder

Show Job Lists


Find planning applications