Jobcentre bosses defend 2008 decision to pull out of Exmouth

15:00 27 March 2014

Exmouth's job seekers have to make a fortnightly 23-mile round trek to sign on at the Exeter job centre. They receive no reimbursement for their travel costs. Photo: Paul Strange

Exmouth's job seekers have to make a fortnightly 23-mile round trek to sign on at the Exeter job centre. They receive no reimbursement for their travel costs. Photo: Paul Strange

Archant

THE Department for Work and Pensions has explained why it won’t be reintroducing a job centre in Exmouth.

Its decision – announced last week – came amid growing calls from an MP, the town’s mayor, the town council, the Open Door Centre, the Glenorchy Work Club and Exmouth’s jobseekers for a “satellite” office in the town.

The calls emerged during the Journal’s recent investigation in to the plight of the town’s jobseekers.

This revealed that following the closure of Exmouth’s job centre six years ago, around 370 jobseekers have to make a 23-mile round trip to sign on once a fortnight in Exeter, with no reimbursement for their travel costs.

Some are so broke that they can’t afford the train or bus fares (£7.20 bus, £4.10 off-peak train), and are walking in to Exeter to sign on.

But the DWP remains unmoved.

“There is no intention to re-introduce a job centre into Exmouth,” said a spokesperson for the department. “Exmouth’s job centre was closed in 2008 following a full consultation with key stakeholders.”

Those stakeholders included Hugo Swire, Exmouth Town Council, Budleigh Salterton Town Council, Exmouth Citizens Advice Bureau, Exmouth Chamber of Trade and Commerce, Exmouth’s Grand Hotel, Haven Holidays, Eurotech, Knappe Cross Care Centre, Fernihurst Care Home and Shelter.

“In addition,” said the spokesperson, “the district manager met with Hugo Swire to explain the viability of small offices and delivery changes,” adding: “The rationale for closing the site has not changed. Access to our services via other means – digitally or by phone – has increased considerably since 2008.

“This adds further weight to the original rationale.”

When asked to clarify the “original rationale” the spokesperson had no further comment to make, instead referring the Journal to key stakeholders in the 2008 decision for “the detail you are after”.

“Our priority has always been to ensure people have access to the full range of services available in the Exeter job centre.

“In between signing, claimants can access information and guidance, including job search online, or over the phone. There are many ways to access support from Jobcentre Plus without visiting one of our offices.”

1 comment

  • it took an hour in busy traffic for me to get there from exmouth on wednesday morning, i was then 5 minutes late for my time slot, to be met with a 'don't care' response :-( i dont enjoy having to go out there, i dont set out with a baby and expect to be late!

    Report this comment

    Chel

    Friday, March 28, 2014

Other News Stories

Budleigh Salterton traders are looking for someone to sponsor one of two new proposed life-saving devices in the town.

Read more

A former Exmouth nurse is hoping a book of poems she has written over her lifetime will raise funds for a blood cancer charity.

Read more
Yesterday, 14:41

It’s ‘Flashback Friday’ and we found these pictures of Topsham station in the Exmouth Journal archives.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:30

Mindless vandals sprayed graffiti on a live animal on a farm near Exmouth.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:02

Devon saw an increase in Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) claimants during December – with East Devon recording the highest increase of any district.

Read more
Yesterday, 06:30

A family has publicly thanked Devon Air Ambulance paramedics for saving their eight-year-old son’s life after his scooter tore his windpipe in a freak accident on Exmouth seafront.

Read more
Thu, 15:46

The number of recorded crimes in three out of four Exmouth neighbourhoods rose year-on-year in 2016, according to figures released by Devon and Cornwall Police.

Read more
Thu, 11:26

County planners have been asked to approve the long-awaited completion of Dinan Way at a meeting next Wednesday (January 25).

Read more
Thu, 06:30

The amount claimed in expenses by East Devon MP Sir Hugo Swire during the last financial year has been revealed.

Read more
Wed, 13:52

This stunning view will become the outdoor ‘office’ for the new East Devon Pebblebed Heaths’ conservation manager

Read more

Local Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 5°C

min temp: 2°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Local business directory

Exmouth's trusted business finder

Show Job Lists


Find planning applications