September 21 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, September 2, 2014
Budleigh families in need are still receiving vital support from an Exmouth food bank, despite its Budleigh distribution point having closed.
The Budleigh centre for the Exmouth Community Larder was opened last year at the Catholic Church Hall, handing out supplies to those in food poverty.
This distribution point has now shut due to insufficient demand – however, those involved are keen to stress that this does not mean people in Budleigh are not using the service, rather that they are accessing it in different ways.
Therefore, they have reassured people who donate food at Budleigh’s churches that, although the local centre has gone, their contributions are still giving much-needed help to Budleigh residents.
Town councillor and member of the Budleigh Salterton Churches Partnership, Chris Kitson said: “The community larder is very much still active in Budleigh, supporting various people.
“We tried the distribution point in Budleigh at the Catholic Hall, but we found there wasn’t a demand for it.
“We found many people were already going over to Exmouth, maybe to use the Citizens’ Advice Bureau or the Open Door Centre, so it is more convenient for them to go to the larder there. If not, they will get a delivery at home.
“There is a significant number of people, both families and individuals, in Budleigh, who are supported.”
Exmouth Community Larder manager Anthony Bernard said: “[The Budleigh centre] was a satellite from the Exmouth Community Larder, and the amount of volunteer time taken up with taking food over was excessive, as distinct to making deliveries as and when we are called for.”
The larder is especially keen for people to keep donating, as it is struggling to cope with an ever-increasing demand.
For more on this story, see page 6.