Exmouth seafront bowling alley opens for business

11:30 27 December 2012

Taking shape-the bowling alley complex on the Exmouth seafront this week. Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 0077-05-12SH To order your copy of this photograph visit www.midweekherald.co.uk and click on myphotos24

Taking shape-the bowling alley complex on the Exmouth seafront this week. Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 0077-05-12SH To order your copy of this photograph visit www.midweekherald.co.uk and click on myphotos24

Archant

Exmouth’s seafront bowling alley opened for business on Thursday morning, avoiding a takeover by the district council. The building is set to open in stages.

Exmouth’s long-awaited seafront bowling alley opened for business on Thursday morning – some two weeks ahead of schedule.

In November East Devon District Council threatened to take the multi-million pound building from developer Mark Quinn if it was not completed within two months.

Mr Quinn and his team have been working all over Christmas in a bid to beat the district council’s January deadline.

The council served legal notice on Mr Quinn, of Harlequins Bowling and Leisure Ltd, because of a breach of contract conditions.

Mr Quinn said the ground floor was open for business on Thursday morning.

Bowling alley manager Isaac Robb, one of the UK’s top chefs, and his wife Grainne, who have taken on the new attraction, were serving food on Boxing Day.

The father-of-three from Belfast, who has more than 16 years’ experience in the catering industry, said: “We have opened the whole of the downstairs. I am really busy at the moment.”

In November Mr Quinn said he was confident of finishing the building within the allotted time.

He had been forced to halt work for around 18 months while legal wrangles were ironed out when structural difficulties arose early on in the development,

Mr Quinn said: “I am delighted that the building is open. Everyone has been working like mad.

“I would like to thank East Devon District Council for their help to get to this point.”

0 comments

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 10:30
waste, cardboard sorted at News at Costessey for recycling 
picture by Adrian Judd
for EN Kate Scotter

Householders in Exmouth could soon be able to recycle cardboard waste – but not until at least March next year.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:46

The number of Exmouth residents on the dole has increased by more than a quarter since September.

Read more
Tue, 17:08

Emergency services were called out this afternoon after a vehicle collided with a pedestrian in Exmouth town centre.

Read more
Tue, 11:37
Clyst St George teenager George Wheatley being presented his certificate by Victoria Gage.

A Clyst St George teenager has been presented with a certificate after successfully completing his apprenticeship at a natural ingredient company.

Read more
Tue, 10:22
Accomplished chef Josh McDonald-Johnson who runs the Pickle Shack is pictured in the kitchen of the Budleigh Salterton public hall preparing for 105 guests to the pop-up restaurant Grub Club event on Saturday. Ref exb 8004-09-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn

More than 100 diners have enjoyed an evening of gourmet, locally-sourced food in Budleigh.

Read more
Mon, 09:16
Brian and his mum Jean

‘Scumbag’ burglars have ransacked the home of a cancer victim just two days after he died, stealing valuables left to the charity who cared for him in his final days.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 2°C

min temp: 6°C

Most Read News

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Family Notices 24

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition today E-edition



Exmouth's trusted business finder