Exmouth: poison claims pet cats’ lives
PUBLISHED: 15:00 28 February 2012
A pair of pet cats in Brixington died in the same week, from poison, leaving their owner heartbroken. The police said the incident was isolated.
A Brixington woman has been left heartbroken after two of her beloved cats died from poisoning in the same week.
Jacqueline Nardone, 49, of Langstone Drive, wants answers over her cats’ deaths and is urging anyone with a vendetta against her pets to get in touch.
The care support worker said the death of her cats had left her ‘devastated’ because they were members of her family.
Jacqueline said she is now scared to let her cats outside and has trouble sleeping, worrying her four remaining pets face the same fate.
She said: “I feel like I am being punished because someone thinks I shouldn’t have cats.
“If someone has deliberately poisoned them I would like to say, think about what you are doing think how you would feel if it was one of your family that had been poisoned, watching them suffer like that. I don’t understand the mentality of someone doing that.
“People don’t understand. They are not just cats. They have got their own personality. We come home and they know our car engine. They wait for us to get out of the car. It’s like they say ‘where have you been, we have missed you’.”
“If someone has got a problem with my cats, come and tell me and I will do what I can to fix it - but don’t flipping poison them.”
Brixington police community support officer Chris Ball said the incident was isolated. He said the cats could have eaten something toxic.
PCSO Ball said: “Where that has come from is a mystery. No other cats to my knowledge have had symptoms, or worse.
“The cats could have eaten something toxic that has come into contact with food waste, from a rubbish bag, or been on a garden with chemical fertilizer which they have then preened off themselves.”
Until recently Jacqueline and her fiancé Adrian Down, 49, had six cats – Elliot, Oliver, Samual, Sophie and her two kittens, Jinxy and Badger.
Jacqueline’s world was rocked when she spotted five-year-old black cat Elliot twitching and shaking in her kitchen.
Lifting the unsteady cat onto the sofa and spotting saliva around his mouth, she took her pet to the vet where it was diagnosed he had been poisoned.
Elliot was put to sleep the following day on the vet’s advice after failing to recover.
Days later black-and-white Sophie, owned by Jacqueline since an eight-week-old kitten, bounded into the kitchen through the cat flap, hiding, wide-eyed, under the table.
Fearing she had been hit by a car, the normally ‘dozy and loving’ cat was rushed to the vet where again it was diagnosed she had been poisoned.
Despite attempts to flush the poison from Sophie’s body with a drip, the cat died in her sleep.