An Exmouth man who admitted a sexual assault has been warned he could face jail. Former Royal Marine Glyn Jones, who claimed to have spied on Princess Diana for his job, pleaded guilty to an allegation which dates back to last year.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

A former Royal Marine from Littleham has been warned he could face jail after he admitted a sexual assault.

Glyn Jones, who once claimed he was part of an elite surveillance team that spied on Princess Diana, admitted the assault on the first day of his trial at Exeter Crown Court.

Jones, aged 60, of Berry Close, Exmouth, pleaded guilty to one charge of sexual assault which dates back to November 19 last year.

Judge Francis Gilbert, QC, adjourned sentence to February and ordered a probation pre-sentence report.

He bailed Jones but told him: “All options including custody will remain open.”

He ordered Jones to sign onto the Sex Offenders’ Register before leaving the building.

The details of the allegations will be set out when the case is heard in February.

Mr Rupert Taylor, defending, said his client is due to have exploratory surgery on his bowel two days before the date of the next hearing after an earlier hospital appointment was cancelled.

Jones made headlines all around the world in 1994 when he revealed he had been part of a secret surveillance team who monitored Princess Di’s movements to ensure her safety.

He claims to have hidden in undergrowth close to the back garden of her lover James Hewitt’s then home in Ebford, near Exeter, and saw them having alfresco sex.

He has featured in newspaper articles around the world more recently in which he has supported theories that British special forces may have had some role in the Princess’ death in 1997.

0 comments

Photo Orders
Letters
Competitions
Subscriptions
Follow us on Facebook
View or book a notice

Join our newsletter

Local Search 24 – East Devon
Looking for a:

Location:

Search radius:

Exmouth's trusted business directory