Exmouth flat fire: pensioner treated for smoke inhalation

10:20 12 March 2014

Archant

Firefighters were called to a flat in Exmouth on Tuesday when a fire broke out in kitchen. An elderly woman sufered smoke inhalation and was treated by paramedics.

A pensioner suffered mild smoke inhalation and was given oxygen after a fire broke out in her town centre flat on Tuesday afternoon.

Fire crews from Exmouth and Exeter were called to Hometor House, in Exeter Road, shortly after 3pm where they found a small cooker fire in a second floor flat kitchen.

The fire brigade said the cause of the fire was accidental.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Fire crews confirmed a small fire involving an electric cooker and a wooden bread board within the kitchen of a second floor flat.

“The fire was extinguished by fire crews using two breathing apparatus wearers, one hose reel jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan.

“The cooker hob and bread board were sixty per cent damaged by fire. The remainder of the flat was lightly smoke logged.

“Fire crews rendered oxygen therapy to one elderly female suffering from smoke inhalation.

“Fire crews requested the attendance of ambulance who tended to the casualty on scene.”

0 comments

Other News Stories

Kittleham orchard

Residents spent a day tending to the Littleham Community Orchard.

Read more
11:00
Ten year old Sophia Rehbock is pictured in her garden at Rosehill which was one of the open gardens for Hospiscare in Budleigh Salterton over the weekend. Ref exb 2519-27-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn

The organisers of the Budleigh Open Gardens event for Hospiscare have hailed it as a success.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:30
Waltons

For more than 60 years, the iconic Walton’s department store was Exmouth’s answer to Grace Brothers in the sitcom Are you Being Served, complete with haberdashery and lingerie departments, menswear and ladieswear, a huge toy department and perfumery.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:00
A former contestant on The Voice Adam Isaac entertains the crowds at the party to celebrate 20 years of the Devon Air Ambulance at Darts Farm on Saturday. Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 4029-35-12SH To order your copy of this photograph visit www.exmouthjournal.co.uk and click on myphotos24

A Devon singer and TV star has been added to the bill at an Exmouth charity’s first-ever fundraising ball.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:00
Jef Pirie who runs the Littleham and High Street launderettes wrote a one act play entitled 'I'd Like to Believe in Angels' which won the Exmouth One Act Play Festival recently. Ref exe 1733-25-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn

An Exmouth playwright is looking to get his work published after he won two awards at a recent drama festival.

Read more
Fri, 13:02
HM Coastguard

A section of Exmouth beach was cordoned off by the coastguard after a two-metre-wide hole appeared in the sand.

Read more
Fri, 12:30
Exeter Road school's sports day. Ref exe 9472-26-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife

Children at Exeter Road Primary School enjoyed the sunshine as they competed in the school’s annual sports day.

Read more
Fri, 10:56
Exmouth Community College prom night 2015. Ref exe 1521-27-15AW. Picture: Alex Walton

ECC Year 11 leavers step out in style

Read more
Fri, 09:40
Exmouth RNLI Lifeboat

A man had to be rescued by the RNLI off the coast of Exmouth after his boat was swept out to sea.

Read more
Fri, 06:30
A grass verge on Marine Way. Ref exe 9844-27-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife

‘Ridiculous’ overgrown grass in Exmouth could be cut, with town hall chiefs considering stepping in to improve the appearance of the town.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 19°C

min temp: 12°C

Most Read News

Great British Life


Great British Life

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition today E-edition



Exmouth's trusted business finder