Exmouth flat fire: pensioner treated for smoke inhalation

10:20 12 March 2014

Archant

Firefighters were called to a flat in Exmouth on Tuesday when a fire broke out in kitchen. An elderly woman sufered smoke inhalation and was treated by paramedics.

A pensioner suffered mild smoke inhalation and was given oxygen after a fire broke out in her town centre flat on Tuesday afternoon.

Fire crews from Exmouth and Exeter were called to Hometor House, in Exeter Road, shortly after 3pm where they found a small cooker fire in a second floor flat kitchen.

The fire brigade said the cause of the fire was accidental.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Fire crews confirmed a small fire involving an electric cooker and a wooden bread board within the kitchen of a second floor flat.

“The fire was extinguished by fire crews using two breathing apparatus wearers, one hose reel jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan.

“The cooker hob and bread board were sixty per cent damaged by fire. The remainder of the flat was lightly smoke logged.

“Fire crews rendered oxygen therapy to one elderly female suffering from smoke inhalation.

“Fire crews requested the attendance of ambulance who tended to the casualty on scene.”

0 comments

Other News Stories

09:00
Father Trevor Smyth with Bishop Richard Hawkins. Fr Trevor says farewell to his parishioners at his final service at All Saint's Church, Exeter Road, as he retires from his post. Ref exe 3343-16-15AW. Picture: Alex Walton

An Exmouth vicar has said a fond farewell to his parishioners after more than 14 years.

Read more
09:00
T-Rex

Phear Park and Manor Gardens are being discussed as possible venues for the return of dinosaurs to Exmouth.

Read more
07:00

Devon Freewheelers operates daily ‘hand-to-mouth’, never knowing where its next penny will come from.

Read more
Yesterday, 15:00

Tesco says it is still planning to come to Budleigh, despite a planning application for its proposed store having been withdrawn.

Read more
Yesterday, 14:06

A man had to be treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation after a fire at Scarletts in The Strand, Exmouth.

Read more
Yesterday, 13:46
The World of Country Life Lamb National. And they're off... Ref exe 3431-16-15AW. Picture: Alex Walton

Pictures:

Read more
Yesterday, 11:43
Mamhead slipway at the western end of the Exmouth seafront. Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 0236-03-14SH. To order your copy of this photograph go to www.exmouthjournal.co.uk

Building work on the slipway at Mamhead is to begin this summer after district councillors gave final approval.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:08
Prime Minister David Cameron (left) and Mayor of London Boris Johnson with 3 year old Stephanie during a General Election campaign visit to Advantage Children's Day Nursery in Surbiton, Surrey. Photo: Chris Radburn/PA Wire

David Cameron is launching the Conservatives’ first English manifesto, with a promise of changes to ensure that English MPs have the final say on income tax rates in England.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:06
Topsham library reopens after being taken over by Estuary League of Friends. Ref ext 3635-17-15AW. Picture: Alex Walton

Estuary League of Friends must find nearly £2million if it is to turn Topsham Library into a community hub.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:00
Twin sisters, Dorrie Kempsell and Ivy Peck, celebrate their 100th birthdays at Manor Lodge Residential Home. Ref exe 3536-16-15AW. Picture: Alex Walton

A double celebration and cards from the Queen marked the 100th birthday of twin sisters from Exmouth.

Read more

Local Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 15°C

min temp: 6°C

Most Read News

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Family Notices 24

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition today E-edition



Exmouth's trusted business finder