Exmouth seafront ‘temporary attractions’ could last two years
PUBLISHED: 12:28 23 November 2017 | UPDATED: 12:28 23 November 2017
Exmouth seafront could become a venue to screen live World Cup football matches next summer – one of a number of temporary attractions proposed for the redevelopment site.
Other uses could include a children’s play area, pop-up cafes and space for events – three attraction ‘zones’ that could be in place for two years.
The facilities are proposed for part of East Devon District Council’s (EDDC) ‘phase three’ redevelopment site on Queen’s Drive, formerly home to Exmouth Fun Park, which had its tenancy ended by EDDC earlier this year.
EDDC previously promised temporary attractions for the site while it considers long-term plans there, with opponents raising fears of dereliction.
A report to EDDC’s cabinet, due to meet next week, states: “The intention is three zones will be created within the vacant site that can offer free children’s play, event space and a food/drink and seating area respectively.”
The report says the events space could host events including outdoor cinema screenings, and screenings of live sporting events such as next year’s World Cup.
The report adds that a planning application for the temporary uses is being prepared, which will ‘seek approval from spring 2018 through to autumn 2019’.
It states that a ‘visioning exercise’ on long-term plans for the site will begin early in 2018, with ‘more detailed proposals for consultation’ then planned in 2019.
The cabinet report also says work on the ‘phase one’ project to reroute Queen’s Drive is due to begin in March 2018. It also says that developer Grenadier, which is behind a watersports centre which forms phase two of the plans, is due to submit a planning application on November 28.
The report concludes: “The project remains on course and within budget and Exmouth can now look forward to the delivery stage finally commencing in 2018.”
However, Nick Hookway, chairman of campaign group Save Exmouth Seafront, which previously criticised the idea of removing the fun park only to put in temporary attractions instead, said: “It doesn’t seem to be very impressive, and you really do wonder what the level of thinking is about Queen’s Drive and phase three.
“I don’t think the temporary attractions will satisfy residents. They need to have a proper consultation as soon as possible.”