Bid to save Exmouth’s Harbour View Cafe and retain site of former fun park turned down
PUBLISHED: 09:52 14 May 2018 | UPDATED: 12:45 14 May 2018
A bid to protect two key Exmouth seafront sites for future generations has been turned down by the district council.
Nick Hookway, chairman of Save Exmouth Seafront (SES), submitted an application to have Harbour View and the former Exmouth Fun Park plot – both in Queen’s Drive – declared assets of community value.
If they had been granted the status, it would have meant any potential future sale of the sites would have had to be paused for six months to allow SES to table a bid themselves.
Dawn Hirst, who runs Harbour View Café, previously said it would mean ‘everything’ to have that protection.
The district council turned down the applications.
In letters of rejection seen by the Journal, EDDC says neither facility ‘furthers the social wellbeing or social interests of the local community’.
Mr Hookway has expressed his disappointment at the rejection and has called on EDDC to rethink its decision.
For more on this story, see Thursday’s Exmouth Journal.