Exmouth flat fire: pensioner treated for smoke inhalation

PUBLISHED: 10:20 12 March 2014 | UPDATED: 10:20 12 March 2014

Archant

Firefighters were called to a flat in Exmouth on Tuesday when a fire broke out in kitchen. An elderly woman sufered smoke inhalation and was treated by paramedics.

A pensioner suffered mild smoke inhalation and was given oxygen after a fire broke out in her town centre flat on Tuesday afternoon.

Fire crews from Exmouth and Exeter were called to Hometor House, in Exeter Road, shortly after 3pm where they found a small cooker fire in a second floor flat kitchen.

The fire brigade said the cause of the fire was accidental.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Fire crews confirmed a small fire involving an electric cooker and a wooden bread board within the kitchen of a second floor flat.

“The fire was extinguished by fire crews using two breathing apparatus wearers, one hose reel jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan.

“The cooker hob and bread board were sixty per cent damaged by fire. The remainder of the flat was lightly smoke logged.

“Fire crews rendered oxygen therapy to one elderly female suffering from smoke inhalation.

“Fire crews requested the attendance of ambulance who tended to the casualty on scene.”

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 12:00

After an absence of more than 20 years, Budleigh Salterton carnival returns on Saturday, September 30.

Read more
Yesterday, 07:06

East Devon District Council (EDDC) is checking that householders who claim a 25 per cent council tax discount for living alone are still entitled to it.

Read more
Yesterday, 06:30

Ofsted inspectors have given Woodbury Salterton Primary School a ‘good’ rating following a recent inspection

Read more
Saturday, September 23, 2017

Plans have been put forward for a major extension of an Exmouth care home.

Read more
Friday, September 22, 2017

A group of women looking to get active in a social environment have taken part in a triathlon event in Torbay.

Read more
Friday, September 22, 2017

From the War Journals: Making the news in the Exmouth Journal on this week in 1944.

Read more
Friday, September 22, 2017

Police are appealing for information after £10,000 and 8,000 Hong Kong dollars were taken during a burglary in Cranford Avenue.

Read more
Friday, September 22, 2017

A cheque for £480, raised by a Budleigh Lions Club bingo event at the Dog and Donkey pub, Knowle Village, was presented to the town’s Chamber of Commerce

Read more
Friday, September 22, 2017

A ‘true Exmothian’, who has 
died aged 87, will be remembered as someone who was involved in all aspects of community life.

Read more
Thursday, September 21, 2017

Gardeners from the Exmouth area are among those who have had their skills recognised by East Devon District Council (EDDC).

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 16°C

min temp: 12°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Local business directory

Exmouth's trusted business finder

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists


Find planning applications