Typhoon survivor Keith in school funding appeal

14:09 03 March 2014

Keith Wakefield, who has had a miraculous escape from Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.

Keith Wakefield, who has had a miraculous escape from Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.

Archant

Typhoon Haiyan survivor Keith Wakefield is appealing for funds to secure the future of his language school, having passed 100 days since it was devastated by the storm.

Keith, who lived in Exmouth until six years ago, has previously told of how he and his Filipino family survived the destructive typhoon at their home on the island of Leyte in November, and thanked Exmothians for sending support.

Now, he is appealing for help to secure the future of the English Language Academy, which he runs in the city of Tacloban.

He said: “The school is not doing so good because the front of the building that the school is housed in is still not repaired and is all boarded up, so it is not good for business.

“I have managed to find a building that was not damaged by the typhoon that would be perfect for the school to revive and prosper.

“The only problem is that, because the school is the only source of income, I do not have the advance rent and deposit necessary to be able to move to the new building.

“If there is anyone there in Exmouth who can lend me £1,000 to make this possible, once the school is back up and running fully, I can pay back the money with interest.”

Keith says his school has helped hundreds of Filipinos to improve their lives, with one of his former students, Miriam Angeli Bayaya, a nurse, being chosen to show David Beckham around the area during a recent visit.

To contact Keith, email keithatela@yahoo.com

0 comments

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 17:08

Emergency services were called out this afternoon after a vehicle collided with a pedestrian in Exmouth town centre.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:37
Clyst St George teenager George Wheatley being presented his certificate by Victoria Gage.

A Clyst St George teenager has been presented with a certificate after successfully completing his apprenticeship at a natural ingredient company.

Read more
Yesterday, 10:22
Accomplished chef Josh McDonald-Johnson who runs the Pickle Shack is pictured in the kitchen of the Budleigh Salterton public hall preparing for 105 guests to the pop-up restaurant Grub Club event on Saturday. Ref exb 8004-09-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn

More than 100 diners have enjoyed an evening of gourmet, locally-sourced food in Budleigh.

Read more
Mon, 09:16
Brian and his mum Jean

‘Scumbag’ burglars have ransacked the home of a cancer victim just two days after he died, stealing valuables left to the charity who cared for him in his final days.

Read more
Mon, 09:12
logo

A Marks & Spencer food hall is coming to Exmouth - and retail bosses want to build it on the ageing bus depot.

Read more
Sunday, March 1, 2015

Supermarket giant Tesco’s plans for Budleigh have been opposed by town planners.

Read more

Local Weather

Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 9°C

min temp: -0°C

Most Read News

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Family Notices 24

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition today E-edition



Exmouth's trusted business finder