Teachers’ strike set to disrupt Exmouth schools

10:28 24 March 2014

Archant

Teachers in Exmouth will be going on strike on Wednesday, March 26, with one school so far confirming it will be closed on the day.

A national strike has been called by the National Union of Teachers (NUT), which says it has concerns over teachers’ pay, pension reforms, and excessive bureaucracy, due to government reforms.

Withycombe Raleigh Primary School has confirmed it will be shut due to the strike, and Exeter Road Primary School will be closing its reception, year two and year three classes.

Exmouth Community College is planning to remain open, despite members of staff being expected to strike.

College principal Tony Alexander said: “Members of the NUT are taking strike action as part of a national campaign against changes to their conditions of service and pension arrangements. The college will remain open for all year groups on this day.”

NUT spokesman Timothy Hodge, speaking on behalf of NUT members at the college, said: “Members at Exmouth wish to make it clear that the decision to strike is not taken lightly. It is a difficult decision for every individual to make.

“Some disruption to students and to their parents is inevitable and the staff very much regret this.

“The teachers on strike from Exmouth Community College wish it to be known that they understand that some people will disagree with the decision to take strike action, but they hope that the community they serve will appreciate the integrity of the motivations that underpin their action.

“They believe that their action on March 26 is part of a campaign that can lead to a better future for the education service and the children of this country.”

Mr Hodge added that NUT members were being encouraged, not instructed, to strike.

The Department for Education has said it feels parents will ‘struggle to understand’ the strike, as it has agreed to teachers’ request for further talks about the reforms.

The Journal will post updates if and when further closures are announced.

1 comment

  • Laughable when ive been told I cant take my child out of school with a years notice..not five days!

    Report this comment

    Kathleen Webb

    Monday, March 24, 2014

Other News Stories

11:37
Clyst St George teenager George Wheatley being presented his certificate by Victoria Gage.

A Clyst St George teenager has been presented with a certificate after successfully completing his apprenticeship at a natural ingredient company.

Read more
10:22
Accomplished chef Josh McDonald-Johnson who runs the Pickle Shack is pictured in the kitchen of the Budleigh Salterton public hall preparing for 105 guests to the pop-up restaurant Grub Club event on Saturday. Ref exb 8004-09-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn

More than 100 diners have enjoyed an evening of gourmet, locally-sourced food in Budleigh.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:16
Brian and his mum Jean

‘Scumbag’ burglars have ransacked the home of a cancer victim just two days after he died, stealing valuables left to the charity who cared for him in his final days.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:12
logo

A Marks & Spencer food hall is coming to Exmouth - and retail bosses want to build it on the ageing bus depot.

Read more
Sunday, March 1, 2015

Supermarket giant Tesco’s plans for Budleigh have been opposed by town planners.

Read more
Friday, February 27, 2015

Work on the long-awaited cycle track across The Green in Budleigh Salterton is finally set to get under way later this year.

Read more

Local Weather

Heavy Rain

Heavy Rain

max temp: 5°C

min temp: 2°C

Most Read News

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Family Notices 24

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition today E-edition



Exmouth's trusted business finder