Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Dog owners are being told to look out for a potentially fatal disease, found recently in a dog from Exmouth.
Pointer cross Ed was recently treated for lungworm damage at Archie’s Vet Practice in Aylesbeare, having been admitted with coughing, generalised pain and appearing generally down.
Lungworm is a parasite that dogs become infected with after eating common garden slugs and snails carrying the larvae.
Once inside the dog’s system, the parasite travels through the body eventually ending up in the heart.
If the infection is left untreated, the dog’s health can rapidly deteriorate, and can even result in death.
Archie’s vet Tess Sprayson, who is backing the Be Lungworm Aware campaign, said: “Lungworm often gives rise to breathing difficulties, ranging from a lack of energy to coughing. Dogs may also show general signs of being unwell including weight loss, reduced appetite and vomiting.
“Persistent bleeding, even from minor cuts, is also a sign to watch out for. However, the symptoms can be varied and some dogs may appear healthy in the early stages of infection, so if owners are concerned about their dog’s health, they should contact their veterinary practice for further advice.”