Debate concerns delay Strand shelter discussion

09:47 25 February 2014

A view of the Strand Gardens in Exmouth. Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 5026-16-11SH

A view of the Strand Gardens in Exmouth. Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 5026-16-11SH

Archant

Efforts to build a new bus and civic shelter on The Strand have suffered a setback, after councillors due to discuss the plans decided they would not be allowed to do so.

Councillors have been pursuing the idea of a new shelter on the site of the old thatched shelter since 2012, after a proposed ‘pavilion’ building there proved too unpopular with residents.

The town council then conducted a public survey, the result of which said people’s preferred development would be a bus shelter, with the council then voting to pursue a combined shelter which would also have space for civic events.

Having rejected a design put forward by Devon County Council, which would pay for the shelter with East Devon District Council (EDDC), a group of councillors came up with their own design, which the rest of the council was due to consider this week.

Deputy mayor Councillor Bill Nash told them: “If we don’t have this, I feel we will be doing a disservice to the people of Exmouth, as we will have no civic covered area and a bog-standard bus stop at the end of our Strand, which is a beautiful area being used and appreciated by people.

“It’s not a legacy we can leave to have nothing.”

However, when councillors began to debate the plan, Councillor Lynne Elson, chairman of the council’s planning committee, decided she should leave the meeting, saying the plan was so detailed that if a planning application then came before the planning committee she could be accused of predetermination.

The other members of the planning committee followed, and when members of EDDC’s development management committee also raised concerns the item was pulled from the agenda.

Speaking after the meeting, town clerk Colin Poole said that he would seek advice from EDDC’s planning department and monitoring officer to find a way for councillors to take part in a debate.

He also said that, despite Cllr Nash saying there was a cut off for the funding to be available on March 1, this was just a guide, and so it was not critical.

Also speaking after the meeting, county councillor Eileen Wragg, whose ward includes The Strand, said she was disappointed not to have seen the plan until last week.

0 comments

Other News Stories

Yesterday, 15:04
Exeter Magistrates Court

An Exmouth bus driver has been disqualified from driving after causing a collision.

Read more
Thu, 13:47
Exmouth TSB staff Louise Grant and Ben Pollard with Branch Manager Derek Sowden are pictured presenting a cheque that will total £540 to Richard Cousins and John Arnold from Hospiscare. Ref exe 2551-50-14. Picture: Simon Horn.

Staff at an Exmouth bank have got on their bike for Hospiscare - to round off a successful year of charity fundraising.

Read more
Thu, 09:51
Exeter Magistrates Court

An Exmouth couple could be disqualified from keeping dogs after they breached a control order.

Read more
Thu, 09:05
The seafront Premier Inn is taking shape. Ref exe 8371-42-14SH Picture: Simon Horn

The new Premier Inn on Exmouth seafront has started recruiting staff to fill 23 positions, now a manager and assistant manager have been recruited.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 7°C

Most Read News

Photo Orders
Competitions
Subscriptions
Facebook
Family notices
Exmouth Journal E-edition

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition today E-edition
Exmouth�s trusted business finder