Crews called out to fire at Exmouth derelict building

PUBLISHED: 09:23 16 July 2017 | UPDATED: 09:23 16 July 2017

Archant

The top floor of a building in Pankhurst Close was ‘80 per cent’ damaged by the blaze, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue says.

Fire crews were called out to Exmouth on Saturday (July 15) to deal with a fire in a derelict building.

Crews from Exmouth were mobilised to reports of a building fire in Pankhurst Close at around 8.30pm.

On arrival crews found smoke and flames coming from a two-storey derelict building and a further two appliances from Budleigh Salterton and Middlemoor were mobilised.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Crews used four breathing apparatus, two jets and one covering jet to extinguish the fire.

“They then used a thermal imaging camera to ensure the building was safe.

“The top floor of the building was eighty per cent damaged by the fire.”

Other News Stories

18 minutes ago

Exmouth Town Council will be temporarily closed from January 29-30 while office equipment and phones are moved to its new home.

Read more
Yesterday, 17:00

Artist Anna Fitzgerald, of Seadog Gallery, in Gussiford Lane, Exmouth, is calling for a bra army of support; she needs 4,000 over-shoulder-boulder-holder donations for the display, which will celebrate the suffragette movement and women winning the right to vote.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:00

“We are going to find it very hard to balance our books without changing things significantly. We need teachers, but all the other things schools do – all the things that are not our statutory responsibility – we are looking at cutting. We are talking about the life chances of children being damaged,” said Exmouth’s Exeter Road head teacher Paul Gosling.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:04

There’s good news for Exmouth’s Famous Old Barrel pub, which has been closed since last October.

Read more
Yesterday, 08:45

Devon and Cornwall residents are being polled on whether they would pay another £12 a year to ‘protect frontline policing’.

Read more
Wed, 16:28

The council has teamed up with South West Ambulance and will invest £5,000 in the life saving equipment.

Read more

Chris Wright, whose family used to run Exmouth Fun Park before eviction in September last year, has critised EDDC over a planned £150,000 temporary play park on the site in Queen’s Drive.

Read more
Wed, 10:44

Aaron Mills, of Capel Lane, pleaded guilty at Exeter Magistrates Court to criminal damage at Fever and Boutiqpue Nightclub, in The Parade.

Read more
Tue, 17:52

Christopher Jackson, 23, of Staple Mews, was caught with a Glock pistol-styled BB gun by door staff outside Fever and Boutique Nightclub, magistrates told.

Read more
Tue, 17:29

Nathaniel Darby, 23, of Nelson Drive, admitted possession of the controlled drug at Exeter Magistrates Court.

Read more

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Local Weather

Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 5°C

min temp: 2°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Reader Travel


Read Online

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Local business directory

Exmouth's trusted business finder

Show Job Lists


Find planning applications