Oven fire causes ‘100 per cent’ smoke damage to Exmouth butchers

PUBLISHED: 08:19 11 May 2018 | UPDATED: 15:29 11 May 2018

Fire fighters tackling an oven fire in Exmouth. Picture: Chay Pell

Fire fighters tackling an oven fire in Exmouth. Picture: Chay Pell

Archant

Fire crews were called to an oven fire in a commercial building in Exmouth earlier this morning (Friday).

Two appliances from Exmouth and one from Budleigh Salterton were called to Chapel Street shortly after 5.30am.

When crews arrived they confirmed an oven fire on the ground floor of the commercial building.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue spokesman confirmed that the fire took place at Porky Down Butchers, in the Magnolia Centre.

They extinguished the fire using breathing apparatus, hose reel jets, a covering jet, hydraulic spreaders and small tools.

The fire was confined to the oven, but it is believed all of the ground floor has been damaged by smoke. The cause of the fire was accidental.

Other News Stories

19:00

Photographer, Luke Hopkins, shares his superb nature photos of the amazing wildlife to be found in and around Exmouth.

Read more
Yesterday, 15:34

A jealous party guest from Exmouth who lashed out with a glass after seeing another woman talking to her ex boyfriend has been spared jail.

Read more
Yesterday, 15:02

East Devon District Council is hopeful that eight homeless people will be housed in a former bed and breakfast before Christmas.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:23

Bill ‘from Exmouth’ broke down in tears explaining to radio host James O’Brien that regretted his decision to vote to leave the EU.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:20

East Budleigh’s churchyard has won recognition in a Devon-wide competition for creating a haven for wildlife and people.

Read more
Yesterday, 10:17

Bluebird Care Exmouth’s in-home service has been rated Outstanding by the independent regulator, the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

Read more
Yesterday, 09:47

Fundraising for charity proved a piece of cake for staff at Exmouth’s Specsavers when they raised awareness of sight loss.

Read more
Thu, 18:07

A man from Exmouth has been jailed for throwing a hamster and its cage at his wife during a terrifying attack.

Read more
Thu, 17:49

An Exmouth community group set up to encourage people to exercise raised thousands of pounds and awareness for the Motor Neurone Disease Association (MND) with a dinner and dance evening.

Read more
Thu, 14:33

An Exmouth fish and chip shop has received national recognition for being a top place to work.

Read more

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 5°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Exmouth Journal twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy


Show Job Lists


Find planning applications