Don't miss a story sign up to Exmouth Journal's FREE daily newsletter CLICK HERE

Bowling alley gas fears - false alarm

09:39 25 January 2013

A coastal view of the new bowling alley complex on the Exmouth seafront. Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 0280-29-12SH To order your copy of this photograph visit www.exmouthjournal.co.uk and click on myphotos24

A coastal view of the new bowling alley complex on the Exmouth seafront. Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 0280-29-12SH To order your copy of this photograph visit www.exmouthjournal.co.uk and click on myphotos24

Archant

The new bowling alley on Exmouth seafront was evacuated on Sunday, after fire crews arrived to check for a carbon monoxide leak.

However, firefighters found no trace of the gas, and proprietor Isaac Robb has since taken out further independent testing to confirm the building is safe.

A fire service spokesman said they were called to the bowling alley at 3.24pm on Sunday afternoon, as it was understood a group of people who had used the facility felt there may be a problem with propane gas heaters.

On arrival, crews used gas detection equipment to test for carbon monoxide, but no gas was found to be present.

The spokesman said crews gave some advice about the heaters, and then left at 4.20pm

Mr Isaac Robb told the Journal he then decided to keep the building closed until late Monday afternoon for further testing to be done, to ensure there was no risk.

Mr Robb’s brother, Luke, who also works at the bowling alley, said: “The fire brigade arrived due to a report of a gas leak. The fire brigade, as a precautionary measure, had to evacuate the business. They carried out their tests with regards to carbon monoxide levels, and all the tests came up zero.

“As a precautionary measure, [on Monday] we did a second test on the building to make sure there weren’t any problems. That came up with no problems.”

Mr Isaac Robb said: “Our carbon monoxide alarms didn’t go off, but we closed the place on Sunday and Monday to get our secondary tests done to make sure [there was no problem], on top of the fire brigade telling us there was nothing wrong.

“We lost business for a full day, and got an outside company to come in and check it.”

0 comments

Other News Stories

12:51

South West Water has confirmed that 128 properties are currently without water in Withycombe.

Read more
12:30
Keith Darch,Sue Mills and Vincent Scott-Hatton at The launch of a JCB in Childrens Hospice South West colours. Ref exe 16-17TI 9990. Picture: Terry Ife

A digger is taking to the roads of the South West, with the aim of scooping up funds for a vital charity.

Read more
12:30
Strand Gardens at Christmas.

The future of Exmouth’s Christmas lights display looks to be secure for years to come, after a bid for cash to buy new lights was successful.

Read more
10:28

Some households in Withycombe are experiencing problems with their water supply this morning.

Read more
Volunteers and clients at the job club at the Glenorchy Church on Exeter Road. Ref exe 15-16SH 0488. Picture: Simon Horn

An Exmouth church is putting what it preaches into practice.

Read more
11:23
Vicki Campbell

Tickets are on sale for the Lions Club of Sidmouth’s 40th Anniversary Celebration Concert on Saturday, May 14, at 8pm in Manor Pavilion Theatre.

Read more
Yesterday, 14:38
Albion Street, Exmouth.

Around 150 people turned out to have their say about the future of Exmouth, at the first consultation event for the town’s proposed Neighbourhood Plan.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:30
St Joseph's school new head of teaching and learning Nicola Taylor-Bashford (left) and new executive head teacher Rachel Pattison are pictured with some of their children this week. Ref exe 16-16SH 1270. Picture: Simon Horn

The new headteacher of St Joseph’s Primary School has vowed to ‘keep the ship sailing in the right direction’ after being appointed to the role.

Read more
Yesterday, 09:32
Juniper's winning photo of the pugs and her cavaliers.

An Exmouth business owner is celebrating winning a national daily pet picture competition.

Read more
Yesterday, 08:58
Laurie Willis let children have a hands on look at his Lightning McQueen car at Stowford Community Centre which he designed in memory of his son who died of sepsis. Ref shs 17-16AW 4856. Picture: Alex Walton

Lightning McQueen came to Sidmouth as part of a dad’s bid to raise awareness of the condition that suddenly killed his son.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 15°C

min temp: 7°C

Most Read News

Great British Life

Great British Life

Useful Links

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Read Online

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Local business directory

Exmouth's trusted business finder

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists


Find planning applications