Bowling alley gas fears - false alarm
PUBLISHED: 09:39 25 January 2013 | UPDATED: 09:44 25 January 2013
The new bowling alley on Exmouth seafront was evacuated on Sunday, after fire crews arrived to check for a carbon monoxide leak.
However, firefighters found no trace of the gas, and proprietor Isaac Robb has since taken out further independent testing to confirm the building is safe.
A fire service spokesman said they were called to the bowling alley at 3.24pm on Sunday afternoon, as it was understood a group of people who had used the facility felt there may be a problem with propane gas heaters.
On arrival, crews used gas detection equipment to test for carbon monoxide, but no gas was found to be present.
The spokesman said crews gave some advice about the heaters, and then left at 4.20pm
Mr Isaac Robb told the Journal he then decided to keep the building closed until late Monday afternoon for further testing to be done, to ensure there was no risk.
Mr Robb’s brother, Luke, who also works at the bowling alley, said: “The fire brigade arrived due to a report of a gas leak. The fire brigade, as a precautionary measure, had to evacuate the business. They carried out their tests with regards to carbon monoxide levels, and all the tests came up zero.
“As a precautionary measure, [on Monday] we did a second test on the building to make sure there weren’t any problems. That came up with no problems.”
Mr Isaac Robb said: “Our carbon monoxide alarms didn’t go off, but we closed the place on Sunday and Monday to get our secondary tests done to make sure [there was no problem], on top of the fire brigade telling us there was nothing wrong.
“We lost business for a full day, and got an outside company to come in and check it.”