Beach hut owners hit with fee increase after storms

PUBLISHED: 10:23 24 February 2014 | UPDATED: 10:24 24 February 2014

Budleigh beach huts were damaged during the storms. Photo by Terry Ife. Ref exb 1493-06-14TI To order your copy of this photograph go to www.exmouthjournal.co.uk and click on myphotos24

Budleigh beach huts were damaged during the storms. Photo by Terry Ife. Ref exb 1493-06-14TI To order your copy of this photograph go to www.exmouthjournal.co.uk and click on myphotos24

Archant

The owners of a Budleigh beach hut thrown out of position by recent storms say district bosses have added insult to injury, after writing to them a week later about increasing their rental fees.

Roger and Rosemary Boud own a hut at the Steamer Steps end of the beach, where huts were battered by waves and winds.

This is the first year huts have been allowed on the beach all year round, after East Devon District Council changed the rules, with an associated hike in fees.

Now, with their hut, which uses a site rented from the council, unusable, the Bouds have received notice of a further fee increase from April.

The district council insists the letters advising of the fee increase were sent out before the most serious storms – although the Boud’s letter is dated February 13 – and says it will look to move huts back into position and discuss compensation.

Rosemary said: “Beach hut owners have unbelievably received a letter from EDDC dated February 13, 2014, which states that ‘following a review’ they are putting the annual rent up by £10.88.

“More significantly, there was no mention of the storms, no mention of any remedial action or assistance, and no mention of any rent rebate due to the site being unfit for use.”

Rosemary and Roger admitted they now regret leaving their hut on the site rather than removing it as they did previously, and said that as pensioners they would not be able to move it back into position.

An EDDC spokesman said: “We have not been contacted by the Bouds with a request to take any action. Theirs is a privately owned hut and it is the responsibility of the owner to decide whether to dismantle it for the winter or to leave it in place.

“Technically it is also the responsibility of the owners to move the hut back into its correct position but, since our staff will be on site moving other huts, we will endeavour to move this one at the same time. The site of the hut has not been damaged so there is no reason in this case for a rebate on the site rental.

“So far as the letter advising of a rent rise is concerned, these letters were sent to tenants and lessees before the more severe storms that did the serious damage to huts.

“The question of compensation for tenants of council-owned huts will be discussed later this week and we will contact affected tenants as soon as we can.

“We have not been able to address this issue any sooner because we have been preoccupied with real-time response to the extensive storm damage across the district.”

Other News Stories

42 minutes ago

Artist Anna Fitzgerald, of Seadog Gallery, in Gussiford Lane, Exmouth, is calling for a bra army of support; she needs 4,000 over-shoulder-boulder-holder donations for the display, which will celebrate the suffragette movement and women winning the right to vote.

Read more
11:04

There’s good news for Exmouth’s Famous Old Barrel pub, which has been closed since last October.

Read more

“We are going to find it very hard to balance our books without changing things significantly. We need teachers, but all the other things schools do – all the things that are not our statutory responsibility – we are looking at cutting. We are talking about the life chances of children being damaged,” said Exmouth’s Exeter Road head teacher Paul Gosling.

Read more

Devon and Cornwall residents are being polled on whether they would pay another £12 a year to ‘protect frontline policing’.

Read more
Yesterday, 16:28

The council has teamed up with South West Ambulance and will invest £5,000 in the life saving equipment.

Read more

Chris Wright, whose family used to run Exmouth Fun Park before eviction in September last year, has critised EDDC over a planned £150,000 temporary play park on the site in Queen’s Drive.

Read more
Yesterday, 10:44

Aaron Mills, of Capel Lane, pleaded guilty at Exeter Magistrates Court to criminal damage at Fever and Boutiqpue Nightclub, in The Parade.

Read more
Tue, 17:52

Christopher Jackson, 23, of Staple Mews, was caught with a Glock pistol-styled BB gun by door staff outside Fever and Boutique Nightclub, magistrates told.

Read more
Tue, 17:29

Nathaniel Darby, 23, of Nelson Drive, admitted possession of the controlled drug at Exeter Magistrates Court.

Read more
Tue, 17:21

More than 1,200 tonnes of rubbish was recycled in East Devon over Christmas and New Year - the equivalent of six blue whales.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 2°C

Most Read News

Useful Links

Advertise in the Paper
Submit a Story
Subscriptions Order
Competitions
Photo Orders
Family notices
iwitness24
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Reader Travel


Read Online

Image
Read the Exmouth Journal e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Local business directory

Exmouth's trusted business finder

Show Job Lists


Find planning applications