December 8 2013 Latest news:
Friday, November 9, 2012
A retired policeman from Exmouth who died earlier this year was killed by a disease caused by exposure to asbestos, an inquest has ruled.
Charles Troake, who was 91 years old and lived in Bapton Close, died on June 25 at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.
Two doctors’ reports which were read to the inquest at County Hall said that married Mr Troake, who was born in East Budleigh, had died from malignant mesothelioma.
The coroner, Dr Elizabeth Earland, told the inquest that this disease is almost always caused by exposure to asbestos.
Although she could not be sure when Mr Troake had been exposed, Dr Earland said he could have been exposed during his work as a policeman, when called to industrial premises, or during his previous career in the army, when he was called to an industrial strike at a gasworks.
Dr Earland, therefore, recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.