Angela Coles, LYMPSTONE HISTORY SOCIETY
Friday, December 2, 2011
Miss Ursula Perry’s photo was taken in the 1980s of PC Steve Kaldy and his wife Carol, when Lympstone had its own police officer, whose police house was located in Greenhill Avenue.
Over the centuries, Lympstone like any other community, has had its share of misdemeanours and I have highlighted the period 1913 to 1928.
In May 1913, a case was heard at Woodbury Petty Sessions when the wife of a local businessman at Lympstone was summoned by an assistant school teacher at Lympstone’s mixed school for assault.
Mr Brown prosecuted on behalf of the National Union of Teachers, while the defendant was the parent of one of the pupils.
During April 29 that year, the teacher had occasion to punish the defendant’s son, when she hit him on the open hand with a ruler.
Later that afternoon the teacher left school and, whilst walking past the defendant’s shop, was bodily dragged into the property and assaulted.
The teacher left the shop almost in a state of collapse. The pupil’s mother was ordered to pay costs and keep the peace for six months.
Lympstone fishermen had good grounds to complain in June 1917, after having their fishing gear removed from their boats. Without the help from other fishermen they would have lost a good day’s fishing.
It was hoped the culprit would soon be caught and severely dealt with.
On to March 1924, at Exmouth Petty Sessions, when a former employee of the Exmouth Gas Company was summoned for having laid a pipe for conveying gas to his house without the consent of the gas company, by-passing a gas coin slot-meter to the cooker.
On having been caught out by a gas inspector, the man, later in court, was also found guilty of taking in food to cook for his neighbours and charging them for the privilege. He was fined £5.
Lastly, in September 1928, Mr Douthwaite, of Reading, whilst visiting Lympstone was fined 10s for parking in Wotton Lane, having popped into the Saddler’s Arms at 10pm, without leaving on a rear red light on his car.
These were the days before the Saddler’s car park and street lighting.